Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Poor battery quality?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:29 PM
HCF Member
Default Poor battery quality?

I have a 2001 Civic LX with 109k miles, and it just snowed about 4 inches today. And... I went to the bank and deposited my paycheck and everything, then I went to go get gas. When I shut my car off, then I got gas, then I tried to start it up. But.. It wouldn't turn over! All my lights just repeadly starting blinking, and then sometimes it would act like it would turn over, but it wouldn't.. I was all "Okay, what the hell.." So I called a friend to have him jump my car, and it worked, thankfully. I've heard Honda has a poor electrical system / battery. I KNEW it was my battery.. And when I was at a stoplight, my lights starting dimming, then my gas gauge needle dropped all the way down then it went back up, acting like it was gonna die. Then I just revved it a little and the lights returned to normal. I wonder if its the snow, the battery, or what? Now, I also got a 1500W Alpine Type-R sub, and a Kenwood 1000W amp, and a 4.0 Farad capicitor in my trunk. I don't think that would of caused it, because my system wasn't on when I was driving(Well, the bass wasn't on). And the capacitor would of handled it anyways, since the battery charges the capacitor.. But, then I heard my capacitor ringing, because it was getting in the 5.0~9.0 amp range.. And that told me my battery wasn't supply enough power to charge my capacitor..

What does everyone think? Think I should get a new battery, or what? Because if this happens again.. I don't know what i'm going to do, I was lucky my friend was in town today and could jump start my car.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Poor battery quality?

Your alternator may be on the way out. Nonetheless, start by cleaning both battery terminals to ensure good electrical contacts and then charge your battery. If you still have a similar problem with the headlights lights dimming at low rpm and getting brighter at high rpm, then you probably need to replace the alternator.

Is your check engine light ON?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

Mmm.. Well, what you said about the RPM's doesn't happen. And this is the first time its happened today. And how do I charge my battery? >_>. Uhh.. My "Maintance Required" light is on, but thats because the idiots never reset my thing when I got my oil change.. And its been on for a good 2~3 weeks now(The Maintance Required light).

Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Vilex

.. And when I was at a stoplight, my lights starting dimming, then my gas gauge needle dropped all the way down then it went back up, acting like it was gonna die. Then I just revved it a little and the lights returned to normal.
This statement is the reason for my comment about your headlights lights dimming at low rpm and getting brighter at high rpm.

Also, if you don't have access to a battery charger, then you can pay a shop to charge it for you. Also, the autoparts chain AutoZone will run a battery and alternator check for free of charge. They might even charge your battery.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM
HCF Member

Oh.. Right. Sorry. I almost forgot I said that.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

See edits in my previous post.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Chubby Chaser

LIKE HE SAID TAKE UR BATTERY TO AUTOZONE AND GET IT TESTED/CHARGED ITS A FREE SERVICE MORE THAN LIKELY ITS UR BATTERY GOIN BAD ALOT OF BATTERIES THAT ARE GOIN BAD U REALLY NOTICE WHEN IT GET COLD.