Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Please help me =(

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Default Please help me =(

civic 94 ex

please help me i am losing my temp. Car is working good then it starts smelling funny while driving pull over a fuse is being melted which is my intrument fuse (cluster lights license light night light shifting lights)they all go out i take it off go home switch it and it does it again melting burning im thinking theres a short somewhere next day i check if something is making contact and for some reason it starts smoking again and smelling without me driving it .my speedometer my temp guage and rev guage everything on cluster dont wanna work and my shifting **** doesnt wanna shift down without putting a key in the lock and it wasnt doing this before i go to junkyard buy another interior fuse box because where the fuses was burning out was all melted so right now im stuck with nothing on guage and shift **** doesnt wanna work without a key and my interior light doesnt wanna work please help me i think i burned something out but dont know where to check

Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Default RE: Please help me =(

i was messing with the dimmer before it started smelling and melting the fuse and myu intruments lights are still dead

Old 01-16-2008, 04:51 PM

also turning signals dont work no more someone please help

Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM

Are you high? I cant read your initial post at all! Clean it up a bit and I'll take another look it at.

Grammatical and spelling errors FTL!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The tables below show fuses (and circuits protected by them) in the under-hood and under-dash fuse boxes in your car.

Which fuses have blown? Are there any other components not already mentioned that also don't work? I'm attempting to determine whether one electrical short might explain the problems.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You need a new fuse box regardless. Once overheated once, the spring contacts lose their temper and will never agan make good contact with the fuses. Then even under normal circumstances it will overheat melt and burn. So go to a junkyard and buy a fuse box and change it out. Remove any aftermarket wiring while you're at it.

Make sure all the fuses are the proper amp size for their circuits. If you have an overload and the fuse is properly sized, it will just blow without burning anything.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 AM

i bought another fuse box at the junkyard got some fuses while i was there all fuses are correct in amps im left with the rev guage not working, temp guage, speedometer. plus tail light, instrument light, and license light not working anymore. and also the interior light. and why doesnt my shifting work anymore with out putting something in the shift lock now its an automatic. any suggestions anyone all i know is i burnt some stuff out but not sure how to check or get to it i dont know why the shifting stopped working someone please help

Old 01-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Are you saying that you now have a "new" undamaged under-dash fuse box and that all the fuses are fine yet all the mentioned systems still don't work?

Also, are any fuses blown in the under-hood fuse/relay box?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 AM

well not new since its from junkyard but all that still not working underhood fuses dont look blown im not sure how to check relays

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 AM
gwl
HCF Member

Since you were at the dimmer switch, just disconected from the back of the switch and replace your fuse and try start it again. Get a wire diagram for your car and trace it from the fuse box to the dimmer switch. Check if you have any bare wires from the dimmer switch.