Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Phantom alarms after stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Default Phantom alarms after stereo Install

Hi All,
I'm a new user with a 2011 Civic LX. I recently had a new Alpine Head unit, amp, and speakers installed at an automotive stereo shop in town and immediately after started getting random phantom car alarms when the alarm is set. At first it was every few minutes at random intervals. We took it back in, and of course they had it all day with no alarms. Since then the alarms have been way less frequent, sometimes going days without an alarm, sometimes a couple times a day! The shop is stumped, and I'm frustrated. Anyone ever experience this issue, or have an idea what might be causing it or how to fix it?

According to the stereo shop, the equipment install was all plug and play adapters, no cutting or splicing!

Help!!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 PM
HCF Member

stock alarm? not sure what those years use as stock alarm. but 1) thats why i hate other people working on my car, who knows what they touched or dropped on your wires/engine. 2) i would check the shock sensor and all wires running to and from it, and try turning its sensitivity down, if possible. Also check all other peripherals that exist in your car for the purpose of tripping that alarm.

the smallest break in a wire, in the most remote spot, could cause all hell to break lose in your car. personally i would make the shop go through and check all the wiring, since this happened after they did something, and watch everything they do, tends to either **** them off, or make them actually fix it instead of being lazy.