Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

PCV valve and oil filter q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:04 PM
HCF Member
Default PCV valve and oil filter q's

My 96 civic has almost 100k miles and I have personally never changed the PCV valve so I'm going to do it on the next oil change. I read somewhere that the OEM ones are spring loaded and the aftermarket ones are not, but the one I got from AAP is spring loaded so I will use it, I think. My question is: is the valve supposed to be stricly one way? Beacuse if I try and blow air through one end I am able to, but not at a high rate. So is this thing defective, or normal?

Also, if i take the Oil filter out with out draining the oil from the oil pan, I will only lose the oil that is in the filter correct? No oil will drain from the fitting where the filter screws into?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Chubby Chaser
Default RE: PCV valve and oil filter q's

if htere isnt alot of sludge build up in ur engine then i wouldn't worry about changing pcv valve. you will only lose oil that is in filter. and y would u want to change filter and not oil????

Old 12-12-2007, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

Well, I took my car into Honda a couple months ago to get the exhuast manifold replaced under waranty beacuse it was cracked, and they told me that they had to perform a service on it (oil chagefilter, spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor) So they did all that, and I went to change my oil the other day and I usually drain it, then take the filter off, so it finishes draining, and I go to take the filter off, and the damn tech had to have used a wrench to tighten it because it's on there gorilla tight! And I didn't have a filter wrench for that size filter because I always just hand tighten my filters, so I had no choice but to leave it on there and go buy a filter wrench after I added the fresh oil....

Old 12-13-2007, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

For the PCV valve, your supposed to shake it, and if you can hear a rattle, then your good, if not,replace it, but if you have never replaced it, you really should. I have never replaced mine but from doing some research, I plan to do mine my next oil change because I have some of the signs it needs to be replaced. For the oil filter, I'm pretty sure your going to get a good amount of oil draining out...

Old 12-13-2007, 01:45 PM

yeah a good PCV valve should make kinda like a rattling sound when shook. when installed, u'll hear that same kinda rattling when the car is on.

as for the oil filter, u can take it out without all the oil draining from it.there will be a fair amount of oil coming from inside the filter tho. just take the old filter off, put the new one on, let the car run for a minute, shut it off, and check the dip stick. may be a tad low so just add untill at correct level.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:24 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

For the PCV valve, your supposed to shake it, and if you can hear a rattle, then your good, if not,replace it, but if you have never replaced it, you really should. I have never replaced mine but from doing some research, I plan to do mine my next oil change because I have some of the signs it needs to be replaced. For the oil filter, I'm pretty sure your going to get a good amount of oil draining out...
what exactly are those signs?