Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 01:18 AM
Default Overheating problem

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum so please bare with me.

I have a 1995 Honda Civic SI (from Canada, which is equivalent to EX in US).
It overheated when I was driving long distance one time... I didn't even noticed it was overheating (never happened before until now), until I saw a puff of black smoke when I accelerate! That's when I looked down and noticed that the Temp gauge was above RED!!!!

I immediately pulled over (just in time too cause the engine just shut off by itself!)

Anyhow, it was your typical situation... coolant was totally gone... oil was burning off... and so I got it towed. I diagnosed the problem and it SEEMED to be the radiator and as well, the fan wasn't coming on at all... it later turned out that the ground to the relay for the fan was faulty, so I jumped it to another relay ground so that the fan is always on.

I had the radiator replaced, a coolant flushed, replaced the thermostat, and the fan replaced. Thinking that this would solve my problem, and it did for like about 100 km... I then noticed that it was still overheating (this time it took longer to overheat).... I rechecked the coolant level and it was almost empty (in the overflow tank)... the fan was on... and nothing wrong with the rad.

So now I'm at a lost... I have no idea what would cause the engine to overheat this time around and was hoping any of you would be able to help me figure this problem out.

My total mileage is 268,000 KM and had my timing belt and water pump changed around 198,000KM, so i don't think it's the water pump... or is it?

I believe the Thermostat is working since when I turn on the heat to high (to alleviate the overheat), the air is hot through the vent...

What else can it be?

please help me fix my baby

Old 05-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Default RE: Overheating problem

Are you sure u got enough coolant in when after u got all the work done to it could just be not full enough... try taking the rad cap off then pour coolant in until it will not take anymore(well it's running)... it should bubble out after a bit... u might also have a slow leak somwhere that leaks just enough that after you run it for a bit it over heats.... i could be wrong to but maybe it somthing that simple. Hopfully

Old 05-17-2005, 05:17 AM

I already made sure there was enough coolant because after the car cooled down, the overflow tank was filled almost to the top!!!

And I know ther eis no leak because after a day of driving my car the overflow tank was still full almost to the top! (and ther eis no sign of a leak (puddle or otherwise) where I parked the car.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:02 AM
HCF Member

Check your timing and do a compression check. 2 years ago my car was over heating and it was due to a blown head gasket. The leak was so small the only symptom was the over heating, not the coolant level and no smoke/steam in the exhaust. After it would heat up the coolant started overflowing from the resevoir tank and that is how I would lose coolant, not the head gasket. As for the timing,... I don't thing that would cause it to overheat the way you have described, but I have hear of it in rare occasions.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:07 PM
HCF Member

Is there any coolant in the oil, this would suggest a blown head gasket as well.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:56 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your response... I finally decided to pay the $95 to get the Acura dealership (I wasn't happy with the Honda dealership that I was going to) and they said I need to get the Head Gasket replaced.

They gave me a quote of $1500!!!!! (in Canadian dollars)

How much should it cost?

I live in Toronto, Ontario... anyone knows of a good reputable shop in Toronto that I can take my car in to get the head gasket fixed?

Old 05-17-2005, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

Is there any coolant in the oil, this would suggest a blown head gasket as well.
Just as a side note,... when my head gasket was blown there was no coolant in the oil. Yes that is an indication of a blown head gasket, but does not always show. You could get coolant in the oil for other reasons as well, cracked block/cylinder wall or warped head for example.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

How much is that in US dollars? I don't remember, but I don't think it is 2 canadian for 1 US. I wouldn't pay more than 500 US dollars for something like that. Well, actually I would do it myself, but if someone asked me how much I think it should cost that is what I would say.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:56 PM
HCF Member

you could get a newer stock motor for that much (the $1500, not 97civicex's $500) then you dont have to worry about a cracked block. if you replace the head gasket, they might pull it apart then tell you the block or head is cracked, then you have to pay them more for a new motor, and they wont get the best price they can find, they will order the first motor they come across.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:59 PM

Yeah, I was thinking about just getting a new engine instead.. was thinking maybe even an upgrade engine with more HP and all... any suggestion as to what engine to get? maybe an Integra GSR engine?

Quick Reply: Overheating problem