Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheating Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Default Overheating Issue.

I have an older 98 Honda Civic SE, over the weekend i notice it went up to the red on Hot/Cold temp gauge on the dash. I pulled over, let it cool down and topped it up with coolant.

Now a couple days later i was driving today and once again the temperature gauge went to red hot. I parked and there was steam coming out of my radiator overflow.

Once again I let it cool off. I filled it back up with coolant and topped it off, checked the overflow which was good and not past the max mark. I also checked the hoses and radiator for any leaks which there wasn't. I even let the car run for 15 minutes with heat on max trying to get the fan to run which it didn't.

Tonight I took the car for a 30 minute spin, only on a steep hill did the Temp Gauge go to Hot once again but once I got to level ground it was back to regular temperature.

Once I got home I noticed the radiator overflow was making sucking noises. Then when the car cooled off and I took the radiator cap off it also made a sucking swish noise.

There is no unusual smoke, or dash readings on the car.

Thanks for help, appreciated.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:04 PM

Sounds like the Tstat is getting stuck closed, the radiator may be clogged, or the water pump failing. If you are overheating while driving, the issue is probably not your fan since the ECU shuts it off when moving above (I think) 28 mph.

I would first remove the radiator, flush it out, and see it the issues continue. If they don't, replace the Tstat. Basically, troubleshoot the cheapest things first and continue up the ladder.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

After confirming the coolant level is OK, the next thing in a case of overheating is to replace the thermostat. Also flush the radiator, removing from car like cvcrcr suggested is best. But if you don't do that at least while the thermostat is out confirm when you pour water in the top of the radiator it flows freely out the bottom hose.

Before taking anything apart do a cursory check for blown head gasket: start engine (cold) with radiator full and the cap off, rev it up and see if bubbles of gas come out of the radiator.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Just an update on this, friend with a jack have been outta town camping, so haven't been able to raise the car to flush the fluid out.

Today when I started the car though it was shaking extremly bad, and I could hear my muffler shaking. My car stalled twice after firing up and shaking. It smelt like gas but once again there was no white/black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. (After 5 minutes the car stopped shaking though)

After it did fire up, it ran for about 5 minutes then it skyrocketed to the H (red) then went back to average.

Thx for replies. Have a great weekend!

Last edited by K.G.; 07-18-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Oh ya, also;

After 5 minutes of the car running, the Radiator oveflow containor was making "sucking" noises again, and when I took the radiator cap off it made a sucking swoosh sound also.

Not sure if this narrows down any.

Thx

Old 07-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

sounds like a fishy over heating problem. once you overheat those aluminum blocks you'll have all kinds of problems, even if you do git the problem fixed. just sell it and get another car. **** it

Old 07-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Chubby Chaser

^ignore that guy

and do what the others have posted before, replace your thermostat. if not, then flush radiator , could also be a bad water pump.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

no joke- if you overheat an aluminum block, you'll warp it and possibly create leaks. on a cast iron block you'll be fine overheating it a couple times but the aluminum doesn't hold up to heat as well. get another engine or car.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Chubby Chaser

its bad when you have a alum head and cast block , but alum head and alum block isnt that bad. he is fine

Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 PM

When you drain the coolant, check to see if it has a milky brown color in it. Maybe drain the oil to check if coolant is in there, too? If so, the oil would also have a milky brown color to it.

Quick Reply: Overheating Issue.