Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Overheat in traffic jams... !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Default Overheat in traffic jams... !!

Basically i was driving home from a local town today, and there were huge traffic jams all the way threw the town, so i was in and out of first gear for about 4 miles, crawling along.

After about 4.5 miles i noticed that my temp gauge had gone up, and as i was sat there at traffic lights it just kept rising till it was between half way and red.

I naturally **** my pants, pulled over and shut it off. I turned it back in about 5 mins later and floored it up this hill, by the top it was down again, im guessing due to cold air intake.

it may help to tell u that during the traffic jam, i had a sub going and my mate was riding shotgun playing my ps2, i dont know if the power use is anything to do with it??

im just worried it may be the head gasket or soemthing crazy like that!

when i got home i put about 1.2 litres of water into my radiator. oil level was fine.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Overheat in traffic jams... !!

Did you happen to hear if your fan turned on at anytime while you were in traffic?

Old 03-19-2008, 04:56 PM

no i dont, possibly due to the pounding bass lol, i will be driving the same place tomoro so will check that out. do you think it may be the fan?

Im pretty sure i have heard the fan recently.. not 100% though!

anything else it could have been?

car has done 147,000 miles

Old 03-19-2008, 05:06 PM
HCF Member

Even with the bass, you would hear your cars rpms go down a bit when the fan turns on.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:08 PM

ah right, yeh they always drop after a while so im guessing it does come on, like i said I will check tomoro.
Lately ive been getting this weird revvin happening when i stop at lights or junctions, im not reving but its going up to like 1500 revs on its own :S well weird.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:52 PM

I had somewhat of a similar problem that you are having with my 98 civic. Whenever I found myself in traffic and pulling up and waiting inline for a drive thru. Everytime I would just rev up the engine to about 2K and I would watch the temp go back down. Once i sat at idle again, it would start to overheat again. I think it was a minor air "bubble" or "gap" in the cooling system and when the engine idled, the naturally went straight to the highest point, where the hose connects to the engine. "Burped" the system and problem was solved for me. Good Luck though

Old 03-20-2008, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

I had a 92 civic 4dr, it did the same thing for a while. I normally just put it in neutral and kept the RPMS at 2.5 to 3 grand til the temp went down. I eventually fixed the problem by doing a tune-up (spark plugs, wires, dizzy, rotor button). I changed my thermostatand had my coolant drained and replaced. Later down the line I ended up w/ a blown head gasket. Hopefully that helps you out

Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 AM

cheers guys, i'll look into that.. may even get a new car to be honest, possible a 96+ civic coupe.. maybe then do a 92-95 front end conversion.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 AM
HCF Member

have you checked you coolant?maybye it just needs to be changed.i had a saturn (pos) and it would overheat during traffic jams too. i flushed all the old coolant out and filled it up with new coolant it worked fine. the old coolant was kinda thick so i prolly didnt move around too well.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 AM
HCF Member

To check your fan, I'd just idle your car in your driveway for about 5-10 minutes with the hood open and keep an eye on the fan. If it comes on, then that's not your problem. I've read that coolant air bubbles can cause idle surging. To get rid of that, you need to fill your cooling system and bleed it of all its air bubbles. There's a DIY on how to bleed your cooling system on this site, I'm just too lazy to find it right now

Btw, you DON'T want to use plain water in your cooling system. Even if you don't live in an area that gets really cold, you still want to use antifreeze. Antifreeze prevents corrosion inside your cooling system, whereas water speeds up corrosion. Water also has a lower boiling point, so as your car gets to a hotter temp, the cooling system will get wacky.

Quick Reply: Overheat in traffic jams... !!