Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

OOPS, broke a CV joint!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 01:34 PM
HCF Member
Default OOPS, broke a CV joint!

Well, today I was doing my day job, and I was making a hasty right turn to get out in traffic, and I put the gas down, expecting another long charismatic half minute run to 45 MPH, but instead I got a break and an engine that suddenly revved to max. I heard lots of grinding and rattling noises, and I put it in 2, hoping that maybe I just broke 1st gear, but no, that didn't work either, so I put on my E-lights, stopped, and tried reverse. No luck. Just that noise. So I figured I broke my driver side CV joint, given where the noise was coming from as I got help pushing it into a parking lot. Now what? How much does it usually cost to get it replaced? If I got the tools, could I do it myself? If only that Honda Honda manual would come in the mail today...

Old 01-24-2006, 01:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: OOPS, broke a CV joint!

its not hard to look and see if your cv joint is bad or not. so look and figure out if thats the case first.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:02 PM
HCF Member

Yea, I'll do that once I secure another car to drive in the mean time.

Reminds me of this...

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail33.html

..I liked that ... car ... *sniff*

Old 01-24-2006, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

Anyhow, I am looking for a good replacement drive axle, and I have come across Raxles, Inc. They say their drive axles are not rebuilt, withstand better loads, and cost less. They are right about the cost less part.

My question is, have any of ya heard any good or bad about Raxles? They are located in Gainesville, FL.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

I bought a axle for my civic for like $60, but it was rebuilt. A brand new one is about $70 i believe and if you get it from autozone it has a lifetime warranty. Its not too hard to change, but an impact gun makes the job alot easier along with a ball join seperator.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:46 PM
HCF Member

I borrowed a ride, went to my car, put it in D, and watched the left axle. It was spinning around like a lot, all the way up to the CV boot at the wheel.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

So did the axle just snap in half? Because that is exactly what happened on my civic, it snapped right in front of my driveway.

Old 01-24-2006, 10:14 PM
HCF Member

Unfortunately for me,it did it on U.S. 1 before a bridge during lunch rush, and I don't think I could have hiked it over the curb and down the 4-foot dropoff. Instead, with the help of the local authorities, I got it into the end of a gravel parking lot. I just hope it doesn't get towed before I can retrieve it tomorrow.

Old 01-25-2006, 02:16 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Impreza WRX

Yea, I'll do that once I secure another car to drive in the mean time.

Reminds me of this...

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail33.html

..I liked that ... car ... *sniff*
takes 5 min to slide under and take a looksy

Old 01-25-2006, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Impreza WRX

I borrowed a ride, went to my car, put it in D, and watched the left axle. It was spinning around like a lot, all the way up to the CV boot at the wheel.
been there done that

Got th car towed home until I get my new Raxles...

Quick Reply: OOPS, broke a CV joint!