Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil "mysteriously" disappearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Default Oil "mysteriously" disappearing

Hi all,

I just "paid my dues" and submitted an intro post, now I've got some questions. I'll start with this one . . .

I have a '94 Civic CX HB (which I soon want to upgrade in various ways). I just had an oil change done about 3 weeks ago. A week or so later, one morning I took off for work and noticed a slight clicking or tapping sound. It sounded like a low-oil noise from the valve train, but I thought "How can that be when I just had the oil changed ??"

But sure enough, I checked the oil and -- it didn't even register on the dipstick !! It took 2 quarts to get a good reading on the stick.

Just yesterday, I checked it again, and once again it was going dry.

The main thing about this is, I am absolutely mystified as to where the oil is going. I'm not an automotive "expert" by any means, but I do know that disappearing oil is going one of two places:

1. Out through some kind of an engine leak and onto the ground, or
2. Past worn piston rings etc. and burned with the fuel.

Well, I have not seen either oil on the ground where I've parked, or blue smoke to indicate oil being burned.

If not either of those, what else is there ?? It sure is disappearing quickly !!

Thanks in advance,
Dave G.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 AM

It could be burning through the piston rings or through the valve seals. If you had a puddle of oil, I'd suspect the rear main seal.

Go to your local Autozone and pick up a can of this stuff called "Restore" for 4 cylinder engines. Pour it into your crankcase and drive around for a few hundred miles. Top off the oil as needed and see if that improves things.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Civic engines do not have valve lifters, the valves won't clatter just because of lack of oil pressure.

Check for leaks at the oil filter, those will only leak when the engine is running. Put paper / cardboard under the car to be absolutely sure there are no drips. Probably you're burning it though. It takes a lot of oil to make enough smoke that you can see in the mirror, but if you have someone follow in another car they'll see it easily.

"Restore" was a pure waste of money for me. If your engine is worn out switch to a heavier oil such as 10W40 or 20W50, it won't burn quite as much while you shop for a replacement.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM
HCF Member

so you're saying since it doesn't leak anywhere, you're motor burned about 3 quarts of oil in 3 weeks? so did you smog it recently?

Old 09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

Do the cardboard trick to check for leaks.

Have somebody follow you and watch for exhaust smoke as you accelerate.

Check your radiator for oily crud.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

best bet have someone follow you drive as you would on a normal day and check for smoke, if not smoking take to a local mechanic have them look at it