Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil leak and fan prob...please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:49 AM
Default Oil leak and fan prob...please help

Hey whats up! Im new to the forum and just bought a 93 EX coupe w/ 159k on the car and 85k on the motor. I have an oil leak so bear with me while i describe the location. It looks like it's leaking from around a bracket that has two cylinder looking things on it and is located to the left of where it says D16Z6 on the block. Any ideas? Also there is a lot of oil residue on the head behind the distributor. My second problem is that I filled up my coolant resevoir and after a day it was bone dry. The radiator was full but i noticed whenever i turn the car on, the radiator fan and the other fan to the right of it are not turning on. I checked the fuse under the dash and the fuses under the hood and they were all okay. The car suprisingly does not run hot but I need this car to get back and forth to work so I would like to not have to worry about something major happening. thanks for your help.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Oil leak and fan prob...please help

the fan will not run all the time it will only kick on once in a while. and one is the a/c fan the other is the radiator fan. as for the oil. i dont know. i would say clean it and see if it redevelops. that usually the best way to see cause it could just be from where someone spilled it before.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:18 AM

Okay so the fans aren't supposed to run all the time? The thing with the oil residue is it is ALOT i mean it's like caked on the head behind/underneath the distributor. Does anyone know what that bracket with the two small cylinders on it that I was talking about? After I drive the car and pop the hood, I can see a small amount of oil seeping out of there. I can wipe it up, but once I drive again, the leak comes back. Is there a gasket for that piece or is it something a little RTV could possibly cure? Thanks

Old 08-03-2005, 05:44 PM

Well, I don't really know what little bracket you're talking about off the top of my head, but the location sounds like it could be leaking around the dizzy or the valve cover gasket. Is it leaking down the side of the engine, or the front, or both? You need to find out how high up on the engine the oil is coming out.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:21 PM

I just got done looking at the dizzy and the head. I really cant tell where the leak is coming from because there is so much oil where the dizzy meets the head. I did pull the cap of the dizzy off and noticed a small amount of oil in there. I've read somewhere on hear about dizzy gaskets or orings going bad but for some reason the search feature is not working for me so i cant seem to find it again. Can i get these o-rings from any auto parts store or have to go to honda? Thanks alot.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 PM
HCF Member

have you tried cleaning the engine with an engine cleaner and then checking to see where the leak is actually comeing from? also the oring you might be able to get a a local auto parts store. i suggest pepboys if you got one.