Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 01:13 PM
HCF Member
Default Oil leak?

I have a 94 Civic LX sedan with 102,000 miles on it. When i last changed my oil, i found that i did not drain enough oil. THen i checked the oil level again in about a two or three weeks and found that the engine was 1/4 quart low. Im pretty sure this kind of oil loss is not normal. I don't see any visible oil leaks and i didn't really notice a blue exhaust. Can anyone tell me how i can find the source of this problem?

Old 07-03-2005, 12:32 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Oil leak?

powerwash the engine and look for signs of a leak. U can also get dye for the oil and hold a light up to it and itll show u too.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:55 AM
NTX
HCF Member

check it while the engine is cold (before you run it). if its still low, add then check it gain in a week or two.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

If your using syntec oil that could be the problem too.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:33 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: HondaCivica

If your using syntec oil that could be the problem too.
I agree, but to explain that comment, before people get the wrong idea of synthetic, it happens when switching from regular to synthetic on a high mileage engine(or previously abused). It is said that since synthetic hold its viscosity longer it is thinner than regular and it can slip through the rings easier and leak through seals. Since synthetic runs cleaner it also removes all the backed on carbon deposits and bakes on oil from places that were otherwise making a good seal before they were removed. That is why some people experience a slight burning of oil after switching to synthetic.

Now back to the origional question. Even if you don't see any blue smoke, you can be burning oil. very little oil, but still some nontheless. If the valve stem seals are the ones that are letting oil through, you will see very little puff of smoke after the car had been sitting for about a day or so. This puff of smoke will only be seeing when you initially turn on the car then no more. If the oil is going in through the piston rings, you will see the puff of smoke every time you floor it. The only time you see a lot of smoke while the engine is idling is when there is something seriously wrong with it, like a really burnt up piston ring.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:48 PM
HCF Member

I was thinking rings as well, but i can't see the smoke when i floor it so ill have to check. Also should the smoke be white or blue. Im running regular oil. And i have added oil and checked later on and found that there was less oil.