Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Odometer question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 11:21 AM
HCF Member
Default Odometer question

So I switched my stock 02 DX instrument cluster with one from an LX model to get the tach. The digital odometer is showing the milage of the LX that it came from. I called the local honda dealer and he said that the only way to change the milage is to drive 2 1/2 hours to to the nearest company that will change it. Is there any way to flash the memory for the odometer and have it pull from the ECU? I've been trying to do some research on digital odometers and I've read that the ecu keeps track of the milage and then sends a packet of information to the odometer when it needs to update... so why doesn't the odometer just read the milage straight from the ecu in the first place?! Any help would be great..

Old 05-08-2006, 03:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Odometer question

bump...

So I called a couple of places in the area today and one of them told me that the dealer should be able to do it for me, so I called back and got a different person on the phone than last time, however this time the guy told me that there is nothing they or I can do except to put a sticker on the door jam indicating a cluster swap and have the original miles on the sticker..

Has no one done a cluster swap with a digital odometer, or has no one cared enough to change the odometer?

Old 05-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Default RE: Odometer question

at my dealer we just put in a sticker about a clustor change. as far as i know you cn't change the odometer and if you try to screw with it, it will read all 8888s so you have to get a new one