Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Odd "scratching" noise when starting up

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Default Odd "scratching" noise when starting up

Hello,

When I start up my 2004 LX lately, there is a peculiar scratching or grinding noise coming from behind the steering wheel. It only sounds when I turn the key to start the car up. When I turn the key to turn off the engine, there is no noise.

The car starts with no problem, but I'm concerned with the scratching noise. It's hard to describe; the best I can say is that it sounds like the winding of a music box, only louder.

I would be most appreciative of any thoughts before I make an appointment with my mechanic!

Old 12-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Default RE: Odd "scratching" noise when starting up

Sounds like it would have to do with the starter...grinding teeth maybe??? I would try and get someone to stand in front of the car with the hood open and try and pinpoint where it is coming from while you (or someone else starts it). That should help you figure out exactly what it is, or post back up and see if anyone else has ideas.

Good luck!

Old 12-22-2006, 11:16 AM
HCF Member

Do you hear the noise when you turn key to "ON" position, or when you turn it further to start position?

Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 AM
HCF Member

Are you sure that the noise is coming from behind the steering wheel(in the cabin right)? If your alternator belt is bad, it will make a screeching noise for a couple of seconds right when you start. After the belt heats up a bit the noise goes away. The noise is actually the alternator belt slipping on the pulley b/c its cold and doesn't stick to the pulley well b/c its worn out. Now this sound will come from the alternator. I can't really think of any moving parts that can make a screeching noise behind the steering wheel (in the cabin).

Old 12-22-2006, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

Could it sound like a chattering relay?

Old 12-23-2006, 12:37 AM
HCF Member

I would doubt that a relay would make that much noise. Also, a relay will only make a noise once when it is initially turned on. After that, the switch part of the relay will not move. The coil part of the relay never moves. I also can't think of a relay that continuously moves while the car is on. The only electrical part i can think of that does that is the ICM.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

The reason for the question about the relay chatter: There are potentially cold solder joints in the Mitsuba DRL Module that go bad and make and breakintermittently. When this happens the DRL Relay chatters by the fact it is a vibrator open and closing at a hertz that makes it sound like the described noise.