Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

O2 & VSS sensor codes after engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Default O2 & VSS sensor codes after engine replacement

Hey all -
Had the engine replaced in my 2000 Civic (5 speed) and have been having issues ever since. I think I've got all of the issues resolved now, except for some sensor problems. CEL is on and throwing o2 and VSS sensor codes (the speedometer has quit working twice over the past month, but normally acts just fine). Mechanic that did the replacement took the sensors off my old engine to use on the new(er) one. The sensors were fine before the switch. Any common issues with that scenario I should look into before I go spending the money on new sensors?

Also, in getting those taken care of, I'd like to wait until I can have my brother swap 'em out (nice to have a mechanic in the family) so I don't have to spend more money than necessary, but he lives 3 hrs away and it'll be a few weeks until I see him. Any danger in driving the car as-is until I see him (other than poor gas mileage, possible loss of speedometer)? Thanks in advance for any advice!