Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No start, weak spark, belt noise... I need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:02 AM
Default No start, weak spark, belt noise... I need help

I have a 94 Civic LX 1.5L 16V with about 150k miles. I let it sit in my driveway while I was out of town for almost 3 weeks. I came back to start and no luck. It just cranks and cranks with the belts making a lot of squeal. I smell gas at the tail pipe, and loosened the bolt on the outlet side of the fuel filter and gas sprayed out. I checked for spark and it seems really weak. Yellow-Orange spark, definitely doesn't seem as hot as it should. I checked the ICM according to Haynes, and all connections came back in spec. I checked the coil, and the secondary resistance was 1.2 ohms (good range 0.6 - 0.8?). Bought a new coil from Adavanced and it checks out exactly the same. I put on new cap/rotor/wires/plugs about 2000 miles ago. Resistance in wires checks out too. The main relay appears good, 3 clicks. I can hear the fuel pump prime and the ECU light turns on/off with the key on. The cam is rotating when it cranks, and pulled the valve cover off for a quick check of the timing belt, but it seems good too. [&:]

I can't figure this one out. I'm two days into this, and hoofing it. Does anybody have some suggestions that I haven't tried yet? Everything was fine before I left, no problems at anytime starting all summer long. Thank you!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: No start, weak spark, belt noise... I need help

One of the accessories has seized up, causing belt to squeal. You need to fix that first, because it isn't going to crank fast enough with all that extra drag.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:27 AM
Default RE: No start, weak spark, belt noise... I need help

I'll check things out tonight to see if anything is seized up, and I'll post my findings. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cousin_Joe
I'll check things out tonight to see if anything is seized up, and I'll post my findings. Thanks.
Can you please tell us what the problem was? Was it a bad distributor?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

As mk suggests, try removing the PS and A/C belts in an attempt to identify the squeaking component. If squeaking continues, then also remove the alternator belt. If squeaking still continues, then the problem may be under the timing belt covers (e.g., water pump). Also check whether the timing belt skipped a tooth or two (i.e., the cam and crank are not synched at TDC1).