Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No power to new Walbro!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Default No power to new Walbro!!!

Ok car is done but wont start.. fuel pump not kicking in.. car is turning over .. put a test light on the fuel pump at the tank and no power at all.. is there a fuel cutoff switch somewhere on car .. and does anyone know where.. its not in the haynes/chilton manual.. as far as mods go for engine it was the walbro 255, I/H/E ..o2 simulator for cat sensor..b&m FPR .. and installed air/fuel, water temp, oil pressure, and a tach... plus removed the air bag on passenger side.. dealer says the airbag will not affect fuel.. anyone know how to get power to pump again??

Old 06-11-2006, 01:21 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: No power to new Walbro!!!

i think there is a fuel pump fuse. check to see and if so, then check that first.

next is the relay. i am sure that there is a relay. think those are generally the same in manufacturing (so to design and numbering system). did one on a VW years ago. had to jumper the connector that the relay fits into. need manual to say what the numbering that is used on yours. you will see the numbers on the relay, and then jumper the corresponding connections that the relay fits into. bunch of work - have to build a little jumper to do it. plug the jumper in and then turn on the key. should be able to hear the fuel pump running. think it is suppose to run a very short time. if it runs, then it is a bad relay.

some manufacturers have a safety cut off switch. it is for roll - over. if that happens , then the fuel pump will shut off. if it is defective, then there will not be any current to the fuel pump. do not know if honda has that or not. don;t think anyone did if you go back years ago (like in my '88). never have tested one of those. guess one would just disconnect and jumper thru it.

Hope this helps

Old 06-11-2006, 02:09 AM

yeah i found wiring diagram and the rollover relay but it was not cracked or damaged.. so gonna check power coming out of ecu and if get power there trace my cable to the fuel pump.. i think we may have damaged the cable installing kick panel on drivers side since it runs right through there..

Old 06-11-2006, 11:48 AM
HCF Member

There should be a fuel pump relay or a main relay that powers the fuel pump. Goto the relay and find the wire that sends power to the pump. Either use a test light or voltmeter to check if there is power from the relay to the pump. If there is, you might have a broken wire somewhere. If that is the case, work your way towards the relay and check for power at every connector until you find the one that has no power.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 AM

Found it.. disconnected a ground in engine bay which is needed to loop power to rest of circuit.. will have full pics shot of car by this weekend then..as long as nothing else goes wrong

Old 06-12-2006, 08:42 AM
HCF Member

is that the ground from the body that is connected to the engine block (or valve cover) ?

Old 06-14-2006, 04:13 PM

engine block. it was removed when we replaced the water neck ..

Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you sure you hooked the fuel pump up right and didnt cross some wires?

Old 06-15-2006, 03:11 AM

if it works... go with it.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 AM

yeah its all working now.. pump was working after installed.. but we removed water neck to change out temp sensor .. then it was sitting a while so we werent thinking about the pump wire running through the engine bay right there..