Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

No lights on instrument gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 02:59 AM
Default No lights on instrument gauges?

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and I have a quick question for anyone who might have experience my current problem. I haveno lights on my instrument gauges, I checked the fuse (located under/beside steering wheel, which also runs tail lights and license plate light) and it is still good. I checked the actual bulbs behind the gauges and they appear good, and I checked most of the connections and they too seem fine. Where should I look next? I just bought the car a few weeks ago and everything works awesome except this. Please help me before I have to pay someone to fix this problem. Thanks, Jerry

Old 12-31-2006, 10:02 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: No lights on instrument gauges?

check the dimmer, it may be all the way down, or broken, i have heard that the solder connections to the actuall plastic connector on the back have come loose before

Old 12-31-2006, 12:32 PM

I did actually check the dimmer switch as I thought it might be broke also. Not totally sure if it is broke or not, but it does not have a click feeling that most of these type ofswitches I have seen before. I'm not sure how the switch is supposed to feel if it is working.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:25 AM

i have the exact same problem on my 96 ek. the lights worked just fine untile a couple days ago. i drive a lot at night so i kinda need them to know how fast i'm going. if you get them working again let me know. also, how do you get to the bulbs?

oh, and the dimmer doesn't click, it just turns. at least mine didn't when it was working.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 AM
HCF Member

yah mine just rolls, it doesnt click, but it might be different for ur car, i would start checking the wiring , it may be that a wire broke or snaped

Old 01-01-2007, 01:02 PM

I did check every wire that I could see (after all I took apart that was a lot of wiring) and I didn't find any problems.

To get to the bulbs you have to take off the front part of the dash cover and then unscrew the gauge assembly. If you turn it over you will see a circuit type card thatdirects the current flow to bulbs all over the instrument panel.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:02 AM

I'm working on this right now, and the short appears to be the dimmer. If I push on it hard with my thumb to the full on position, the lights will come on. At least, for the moment.

I would suggest anyone with this problem start with replacing that, as the other option is a new gauge cluster.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:09 AM

If it is not the fuse, then it is either the dimmer or the light switch stalk.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:17 AM

wow.. im having same problem on my 95 ex sedan 1.6 L vtec... man i didnt know it was a common thing. i havnt tried fixing it yet.. but i thought it would be an easy fix... god i hope it is. good luck to you guys who have the same problem

Old 08-05-2007, 10:06 AM
mud
HCF Member

I had the same problem in my 2000 ex, it had an aftermarket stereo in it that I bought it with. I pulled it out one day and cleaned up some of the wiring and it fixed the problem. I'm guessing one of the wires was grounding out and this is why it did this.

Quick Reply: No lights on instrument gauges?