Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Tires, Car now Pulling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
From what you are saying, the shop may have goofed the alignment, but it would be difficult to prove. Put the front end on stands and inspect the tie rods and bushings for damage.
Ron, sorry, I must have confused you. I did not have an alignment done yet. The only thing that was done was that I got new tires put on. I'll be taking it to my alignment shop soon to get it checked and fixed. I'm just trying to figure out why/how changing the tires is now causing it to pull.

Originally Posted by gwl
You can also take your car to a different shop and do an alignment check. These are usually free. Also, you can swap your front tires and see if you still have the same problem. Maybe by chance at the second rebalance, they put the tires back at their original locations.
At the second rebalance they rotated the tires, so that's not it.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I guess we're misunderstanding each other. I was trying to say that the tire shop messed up the car's wheel alignment not a wheel alignment job.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:16 AM
HCF Member

After I reread your post again, I see what you were saying. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but there's no way to prove it. I guess I'm kinda screwed. I'll get it to an alignment shop and see what they say. Maybe they will be able to tell me that the tire shop did something.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:02 AM
HCF Member

sday88, i'd recommend that you get a lifetime alignment plan like I mentioned in my earlier post from a store like firestone. I am very glad these days for it. I've easily paid for it by having it done 4 times already. Plus having a plan like that allows you to go 4 times a year and keep those bolts loose and not frozen. I think it also has an effect on your tire wear as well.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 AM
HCF Member

Get under the car and ascertain whether they jacked it at a point that would bend a steering component. If you cannot tell, find an alignment shop that will let you in the garage and have the technician look it over really well. If something was bent from a tire jockey with an errant floor jack, you are entitled to recompense. You will have to get a statement from the alignment tech, in writing, save all receipts with date stamps from the tire store(s), and go back and talk to the tire store manager, calmly, and explain what happened. You may even want to request new tires in the front, or rear depending on where the bend is, if there is a bend and this is not all coincidence, if the tires are appreciably worn from driving it like that while looking for a cause. Having a good paper trail is of paramount importance though, in case this goes to small claims court. Good luck.

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx