Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Tires, Car now Pulling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:22 PM
HCF Member
Default New Tires, Car now Pulling?

I have a '98 LX. I bought it used almost two years ago. From the day I bought it until I dropped it off to get new tires, it has driven straight as an arrow. I could let go of the wheel for literally miles and it wouldn't move.

Anyhoo, I got four new tires put on today and as soon as I got on the highway, I noticed it was pulling really hard to the left. I took it back to the shop and they said there was nothing that they did to cause it to happen. I took it to one of their other shops and had the tires rotated and balanced again. Same thing, pulling hard to the left. Any clue what could have caused this?

I just find it strange that after almost two years of straight-as-an-arrow driving, it now pulls. Is it just simply a freak of nature thing that has happened and I should just accept it and get it aligned? Well, I guess I have to get it aligned anyway, but I was hoping that I could somehow blame the shop and make them pay for it.

P.S. I'm glad I have this forum to come to. You guys are a huge help.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

Needs a front end alignment, doing that will also tell you if you have any problems causing the issue as in bent tie rod ends, control arm, etc etc

Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM
HCF Member

Check the tire pressure

Old 11-08-2008, 03:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Clutchcargo
Check the tire pressure
You'd hope that the shop would properly inflate the new tires, but you never know. It's pretty easy to check the tire pressure, so why not give this idea a try. The front tires should have identical pressure of 30-35 psi.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

also make sure they took the summer air out of the tires and put winter air back in them since its getting to that time of year................

haha j/k

Old 11-08-2008, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 315 Customs
Needs a front end alignment, doing that will also tell you if you have any problems causing the issue as in bent tie rod ends, control arm, etc etc
Yeah, I know it needs an alignment. I even said that in my original post. My question was, why did this just happen all of a sudden once I got the new tires put on? It was literally fine when I dropped it off, then when I picked it up it was pulling. The only thing that changed during that time was them putting new tires on.

Originally Posted by Clutchcargo
Check the tire pressure
Originally Posted by RonJ
You'd hope that the shop would properly inflate the new tires, but you never know. It's pretty easy to check the tire pressure, so why not give this idea a try. The front tires should have identical pressure of 30-35 psi.
Yep, tire pressure is fine.

The only explanation I got from the shop was that maybe the old tires just wore to the point that they "corrected" any misalignment causing the car to drive straight. I could MAYBE buy that except that even from the day I bought the car with new tires on it, it drove perfectly.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

From what you are saying, the shop may have goofed the alignment, but it would be difficult to prove. Put the front end on stands and inspect the tie rods and bushings for damage.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:12 PM
gwl
HCF Member

You can also take your car to a different shop and do an alignment check. These are usually free. Also, you can swap your front tires and see if you still have the same problem. Maybe by chance at the second rebalance, they put the tires back at their original locations.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:23 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sday88
The only explanation I got from the shop was that maybe the old tires just wore to the point that they "corrected" any misalignment causing the car to drive straight. I could MAYBE buy that except that even from the day I bought the car with new tires on it, it drove perfectly.
I think this explanation is certainly possible. But so are the explanations that something got damaged even accidentally by the shop. unless the shop does safety inspections before they put your car into the bay, then you really cannot argue that they were the cause of any damage to the suspension. you could have been hit by something or run over something too. I hear that it doesn't take much to get the car out of alignment. know that I didn't get my first alignment done until 10 yrs into driving this car in '08.

My rec is that if you have a firestone nearby, get the unlimited 4 wheel alignment plan and get it done regularly.

I have a 98 LX myself and I am so glad I did that. now whenever I rotate my tires, I get it checked. They had some issue with one of the bolts being frozen for the LR tire, but they finally were able to get it moving after applying penetrant on it twice.

Last edited by mundy5; 11-09-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

after two years your lucky you havent needed a alignment! just take it in the alignment shop and get it set right...
i get a alignment every year if i think it needs it or not.... tires are not cheap and a off alignment can eat up tires fast... tires are alot more expensive then a alignment every year is!

Quick Reply: New Tires, Car now Pulling?