Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Default New Question

Would things like the A/C Compressor and Condensor fit from a 94 civic onto a 93?? I was curious because my current A/C doesnt like the new freon.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New Question

Yes 92-95 Civics have interchangeable parts. What do you mean, your AC doesn't like the new freon?

Old 08-23-2006, 01:25 PM

What I meant by that is I took the car to an A/C shop and they evacuated the system and re-charged it. The guy told me that he only put enough freon into the system to keep the compressor from squealing and wanting to lock up. He also said that some retrofitted R-12 systems don't "like" the new R-134A stuff. Before I took the car in, I had a new orifice tube installed because everyone I knew said that had to be plugged up...I guess it wasnt after all. What should I do??? Replace the whole damn system with 134 A parts from a 94 or 95?? Please help. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

I forgot 93 was the year they switched to R134a systems. [&:]

When you say it doesn't like the new freon, how is the system responding to the R134a? Did he change the oil in the compressor as well? There is a special oil to use for R12 systems converted to 134a. You can't continue to use the same oil for a strictly R12 compressor.

Did you evacuate the system as the standard procedure to switch to R134a? Why did you have the system evacuated and recharged to begin with? Leaks?

Old 08-24-2006, 12:47 AM

First off, I retrofitted the system myself. What I did was I took the cap off of the plug on the low side port (where you re-charge) and I held a screwdriver there while all the freon came out. Then I put on the new fittings that came with the retro kit. Then I started the car and put the A/C on max cool like the directions said and began adding the new freon (it included oil and was specifically for retrofitting from old to new). After a couple min, the compressor kicked on and the vents started blowing cold air. I added just a bit more until the guage that came with the kit said it was full, then I put the caps back on. Drove the car and the A/C compressor started kicking on and off over and over again...like a few seconds on and a few seconds off. Before the compressor kicked off every time, there would be this horrible squealing noise like a belt slipping, then it would quit when the compressor kicked out. I drained some of the freon back out of it and the sound was a little less intense, but the compressor still did the same thing. So I just turned it off and never used it until I had my Dad look at it. He had this friend of his that is a mechanic and works on A/Cs in cars look at it briefly and he told me to replace the Orifice Tube because it was probably plugged up. So I went and got a new one from Advance Auto Parts and my Dad put it in...then we recharged the A/C and it still did the same thing....the squealing and the kicking in and out. I gave up and took it to an A/C and radiator place and they evacuated it and recharged with 134a. The guy told me that he only put enough freon into it so the compressor wouldnt make the noise and keep kicking in and out. He also said that some R-12 systems just dont adapt to the new 134a very well and dont get nearly as cold as it would with the freon it was designed for----R-12. I would think he would have changed the oil in the compressor because I told him everything that I had done...like I am telling you guys. One thing that is interesting is that during hot weather in the daytime, the A/C now doesnt get very cold at all, but at night when it is just hot and sticky, I can turn it on and it gets pretty cold, but not as cold as I would want it to be.

What do you guys think?? I have retrofitted other cars to the new freon and have never had this much trouble ever.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:50 AM

I forgot to mention this, but the compressor stopped kicking in and out like it once did and only does it every now and then...like it kicks out then comes back on and stays on, and I havent heard the squealing noise either.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

Man I don't know, that's getting pretty deep... Well for one, like he mentioned R134a doesn't get as cold as R12. And also you mentioned the AC tech put a smaller amount of freon in it to save the compressor from working too hard (Clutch engaging on and off) It's not going to run as cold as it should if it is running on a lower amount of freon. When it gets real hot during the day, check your pressure as every AC system runs at a higher pressure when the system and car is hot. This results in the air not blowing as cold too. So that is one side to the reasoning behind it not getting as cold.

But out of curiosity, I asked my mechanic if a R134a compressor, condenser, and drier from a 94' - 95' Civic (some late 93s may have 134a systems as well) will bolt up directly to a originally fitted R12 system on a 93' Civic. They claimed it would bolt up directly and stated only the low and high pressure connectors differed between the two systems. So according to them they should be interchangeable. (Alternative Motorsports) They are a good reliable source as they've worked strictly on Hondas and Acuras for over 15 years and specialize in engine swaps, modifications, ect.

I just don't know man. This goes beyond what I've experienced with AC systems. You seem to have more experience having retrofitted systems before.

Did the R12 system work fine before you retrofitted everything?

Old 08-24-2006, 08:29 PM

Yes...the system worked fine before I retrofitted, except it didnt get very cold even then, but I figured it was low on freon, so time to retrofit of course. That is very good that the A/C systems fit one another...so maybe I should just get another compressor, the thing that goes under the dash on pass. side next to blower (evap. core??) and a new receiver-drier. I would think that everything would work a hell of a lot better than it does now...as long as the stuff is guaranteed to work on install of course. I just didnt want to pay 80.00 an hour for Honda to look at it. What do you think I should do?

Old 08-25-2006, 09:20 AM
HCF Member

If it were me, I would have one more good mechanic that I trusted thoroughly check the current setup before I went and purchased a whole new 134a system. I would use that as my last option.

Not knowing "for certain" why the OEM R12 wasn't blowing that cold doesn't eliminate the possiblity of something else besides the compressor working efficiently or being low on freon... (Knowing that R12 should blow colder than 134a). It would really help to know why the R12 system didn't blow as cold as it should have. Your problem initially could have been the evaporator core or expansion valve or who knows what else.

But I would have a trusted mechanic check it out before swapping the whole system out... Good luck man.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

this is what i think:
when you retrofit: needs the new o-rings, etc
r134a,
new receiver/dryer,
and the new oil that is for 134a.
you did not take the pressure down to 0 - below atmospheric pressure (but i see where you say that the place you went to evacuated it (so i am sure that they did))

Quick Reply: New Question