Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New problem with civic, wont start or stay started..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008 | 05:58 PM
|
HCF Member
Default New problem with civic, wont start or stay started..

Alright well I have another thread about my idle problems but that has to wait for now. I started up my car this morning and drove it a couple km away and it sat in the driveway for about 2-3 hours. Its not REALLY cold here but cold enough, I didnt have a lot of gas in the tank. So I drove the car for a bit to the store ran perfect, then got back in the car started but idled a little low so I backed out and but it in 1st but it refused to rev up no matter how I did it, then died. I started it up and shortly after it died. After a while it fired up revved up so I took off to my house but shortly died 20 seconds after just before the stop sign, so I rolled down the hill into a safe spot. Got some new gas to throw in, still no start. Couldnt hear the click from the relay which I just replaced with a new one so I put my old one back in, could hear the clicking and the light came on but no sound from the feul pump. Other than the fuel pump what else could be the problem? I just changed the pump about 8 months ago with a high flow pump (I know it doesn't do anything power wise but I like saying I have one).

The car is sitting behind a store (I live in a small town so it should be fine..) tomorrow I am gona throw some quick start in it and see if I can get it going..

Old 12-30-2008 | 06:29 PM
HCF Member

Try that Quick Start Fluid i might just work if not then read below...

I can honestly say if your car is shuting down on you while your cruising down the street or highway it has to be without question your distributor (not distributor cap). I had what appears to be the same problem you are experiencing with, i changed the spark plugs, and fuel filter, ignition coil and nothing. It's a piece that's inside the distributor that causes this i forgot what it's called but the price of that piece alone is only a couple of bucks cheaper than just getting the entire distributor all together than saving money so it's best to just get the distributor and be done with it.

Does your car sometimes give you trouble when you try to start it after it shuts down on you. If it does it's the distributor. This is a common problem with Accords and Civics and i've had personally had this problem with 2 of my Accords. If this is the case get it fixed ASAP because it will only get worse. It will get to the point where you car gives up and will never ever turn on again till you swap distributors. Mine first started where it would start right away. a couple of days later it took like 15 mins, after that a few days went day it became 30 mins, after that it became a hour, all of this while i'm waiting in the street for all this time i might add, finallly one day i'm driving down the street and it shuts off only to never turn back on again. I left it in a corner in a residental area over night, came back the next morning hoping the distributor had cooled down so much that it had to turn on and it didn't, i ended up having to call a tow truck. Bought a distributor from Advance Auto Parts the same day, put it in the next day, car turned on never to shut off on me like that ever again.

Just so you guys know if you didn't already know. What the distributor does is simply distribute power to get the engine going, it's like a power supply and if it over powers it starts heating up, well the distributor automatically shuts off when it overheats to protect the engine thereby shutting your car off. When the distributor cools back down it will work again temporary till it heats up again and shutting your car off again. As the days go by the distributor gets worse and worse till it finally goes dead and never works again like in my case.

Get it fixed ASAP!!!!!

Old 12-30-2008 | 06:32 PM
HCF Member

And if you can't hear a click or sound from the fuel pump it sounds like the starter. Another common problem with Honda's...

Old 12-31-2008 | 06:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check if fuel is actually reaching the engine by taking the return hose (from the fuel pressure regulator to the pipe at the firewall that goes back to the tank) loose and directing it into a container. Turn the key on to prime it but do not try to start. Gas should come out of the hose while the pump is on. You can also disconnect the small wire at the starter then hold the clutch down and turn the key to make the ECU think you're trying to start it. Gas should then flow constantly.

If you don't have fuel flow but the pump is running, the pickup may have come off so it is sucking air when the gas gets low. Filling the gas tank more than 1/2 full could get it started in that case.

Old 12-31-2008 | 09:49 AM
|
HCF Member

The car is at half a tank now from filling it up last night, I cant hear the fuel pump come on but the light, the check engine light turned on for a couple seconds then turns off usually what it does when the fuel pump primes and then stops. But I don't hear any priming. I am going to see if I can get it going. I will update when I get back. Thanks guys

Old 12-31-2008 | 10:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you have spark at the plugs? If you lack both spark and fuel, then check the important ground wire on the thermostat housing.

If you only lack fuel, as evidence by the fuel pump not priming, then first check for a blown fuse under the hood and dash. Next test the main relay. If the relay is fine, then provide direct power to the fuel pump to see if it works. If so, check the wires and connectors between main relay and fuel pump.

Old 12-31-2008 | 07:26 PM
|
HCF Member

Alright.. Well I think its fixed. I took the rear seats out to get at the wiring for the fuel pump. I took the connecter of and tested to see if the pump was getting power. It was so I applied direct power to the fuel pump and it fired up, so I plugs it all back in and turned the key, and the fuel pump primed up and the car fired up right away. Any ideas on how that worked?

Old 12-31-2008 | 08:48 PM
|
HCF Member

Also when I took he distributor cap off the rotor felt loose but the small bolt holding it was on tight, I took it off and re-installed and same thing, is it supposed to be wiggly?