Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Neon Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:27 PM
HCF Member
Default Neon Switch

hello everybody,
I have a 1996 Honda Civic 2Dr coupe. I recently bought a bunch of blue neon interior lights. I wanted to be able to turn them on or off whenever i wanted, because they're illegal where i come from. So I decided to add a switch to my left side dash. The switch is nothing special, just a simple rocker switch. So I ran a power wire directly from the back of the switch to the battery, and another one from the ground port on the switch to the right front wheel well. I then ran the neon wires to the correct wire, and made sure the ground and power were set correctly. It is correctly grounded, because as soon as I put the power wire on the battery, the neon lit up, but i hadn't turned the switch on.. so I thought that I maybe wired something backwards, so I flipped the switch on, but the neon stayed on. I flipped the switch on and off, but the neon stayed on the whole time. I'm really not sure what's going on, and it's really bugging me. So if anyone has any hints, or can solve my problem, please do so! Thanks alot everyone!

Old 01-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Is it a two-post or a three-post switch?

If it's a two-post, ground all the neon lights wherever, run all the powers to one post on the switch, then run a fused wire from the other post to the battery (or run a wire from the second post to a fused power source).

If it's a three-post, do the same thing (using the top and bottom posts) and run a ground wire from the center post to a good ground.

I have a feeling you wired something incorrectly since the only way for the lights to stay on like you're describing is a short-to-power.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

^or he has a bad switch.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

Alright, sorry i'm a bit groggy tonight, can you try to explain that, a little.. uhm.. easier? With instructions! Please and thanks. Sorry :s

Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'll see what I can do

Okay, so you're going to take the negative wires from the neon tubes and run them to a good ground (basically, any bolt that goes into the body of the car will work). Then, run all the positive wires from the neon tubes to one wire, which should run to one post on the back of the switch. Run another wire from the other post to a power source (in this case, either a fuse box or the battery). As long as there's a fuse somewhere in the circuit, you're safe.

That's assuming it's a two-post switch. If it's a switch that incorporates a light, it's most likely a three-post switch. If that's the case, use the posts on either end of the switch for your power wires (wire it just like a two-post switch), and simply run a ground wire to the center post.

If that's how you already have the wires run, then you're either looking at a bad switch like kanarrjl said or you're getting power somewhere along the line where it shouldn't be getting power, which basically bypasses the switch (short-to-power).

Old 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM
HCF Member

Wow, that helps alot! Thank you so much! I will try that tomorrow, and then let you know how it turns out! Thanks sooo much for the help

Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Super Cereal Admin

It's what I'm here for... good luck

Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Put a fuse in first, in your new wire to the battery, have the fuse near the battery. Near the battery because a fuse only protects from shorts in the wiring after the fuse.

If you don't have a fuse and miswire the switch, the wiring will catch on fire.

Last edited by mk378; 01-21-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
HCF Member

Alright, what size of fuse do I need?

Quick Reply: Neon Switch