Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need Technical Education Please *Newbie Here*

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Default Need Technical Education Please *Newbie Here*

Hey folks...

I'm a newbie to this forum as well as to the Honda Civic...

some background... I bought a 96 Honda Civic Hatchback...it needs a lot of work...needs a new tranny and the suspensions are shot...the civic is a dx model...i have no clue what kind of engine it is...i just know it's the base DX model....

so here comes the twist... i have a wrecked 98 EX coupe automatic that still have the engine and is still drivable but the rear is smashed in...

i want to replace the 96 engine with the 98 engine...what do i need to worry about...i also want to put in the EX A/C to the DX (the DX has no AC)...what are some of the things i need to keep in mind?

has anyone done this type of swap?...i basically want to turn the DX model to an EX model minus the automatic tranny (i'll buy a new manual tranny for the EX engine).

what kind of an education do i need and where are the resources?...what are the engine sizes...what are the differences?...specs?...anyone know of any how to websites or links to good DIY?

thanks a billion folks...

Old 07-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Is your DX a manual now? Has it been modified in any way? If the engine is stock it will be a D16Y7. Look for the engine number stamped on the front of the block where the engine meets the transmission.

What you are proposing is very common, your parts car has almost all that you need to put an EX powertrain into your DX. You will need to buy a few parts from a manual EX, the engine computer and the intake manifold, because those are different for automatic.

I would suggest going in stages. Get the DX working first, replace transmission but keep same engine for now. Most of the suspension parts from the EX should also fit it.

Last edited by mk378; 07-31-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM

thanks for replying...

hmm...u just made me think of something...all i need to do is buy a 98 EX manual tranny for the EX engine and put it in the old DX body...will that work and what kind of differences will there be from swapping an automatic with a manual?

do i gain anything from going to the EX engine vs the DX engine?

and what if i want to "Sup" up the engine...would it be better to use the DX or the EX engine?

Old 07-31-2010, 09:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

So you need to do an auto to manual swap on the DX too (because it's automatic now?)

You definitely would want to have the EX's VTEC engine, EX intake, and EX exhaust as a base to "soup up" the power. The stock EX parts are already faster than the stock DX parts before you start doing anything aftermarket. Again though I would suggest working on the DX as it is some first to learn about it.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:29 AM

yes...the DX is a manual...and i want a manual tranny...

the DX needs a new tranny....the EX engine and automatic tranny works just fine with low mileage....

i was just thinking that i'm gonna scrap the whole DX engine and tranny and just swap it with the EX version...

so ur saying that the EX has the VTEC engine?...hmm....it seems i need a lot of education on the various civics and on what is the best way to approach this project...

any idea on where i can get cheap after market stuff...i.e....lowered springs...shocks...suspensions..etc....

Old 07-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The manuals are almost exactly the same. Doesn't matter much if it came from a DX or EX. The only difference is the 5th gear ratio, for the lighter weight body types like the hatch it is a little lower so the engine turns slower at highway speed, which saves gas. The connection from the engine to transmission is the same with either engine you have (assuming again the DX still has the stock D16Y7).

Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 AM

almost exactly?...hmmm...famous last words...

so is there a beefier version of this tranny?...and umm...how much are the tranny these days...ball park wise..