Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

need to replace my ac tensioner pulley!! Its 97 degrees out and I have no AC!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Default need to replace my ac tensioner pulley!! Its 97 degrees out and I have no AC!!

One day while driving my A/C pulley fell off. It tore up the belt and made a few nicks in the pulley, but the pulley managed to stay under the hood for the remainder of the drive. I smoothed out the nicks in the pulley and can pick up the belt anywhere, but where do i buy the hardware to remount the pulley?? the shaft that the pulley on is there still, just the nut and washer fell off somehow. Also whats the easiest way to re-install this pulley? Its 97 degrees here right now, and it was 100 earlier. I cant continue driving in this heat with no AC!!! Someone please help.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:11 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: need to replace my ac tensioner pulley!! Its 97 degrees out and I have no AC!!

get to a parts store...Napa or Kragens....
Get to a junk yard...find a car with it and pull it off....
Go to the dealership...bring your wallet.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:37 AM
Default RE: need to replace my ac tensioner pulley!! Its 97 degrees out and I have no AC!!

thats the obvious **** bro, i am wanting to know if anyone here has any experience changing this out

Old 06-01-2006, 08:47 AM
HCF Member

but where do i buy the hardware to remount the pulley??
I never have a clue as to what people know...

Back off the bolt on the tensioner....replace the pulley and bolt it back in (to spec)
Replace the belt..(I'd get a new one in case that one got sliced) re-tension the belt.

I'm not really sure if you need a full step by step, or just want to make sure you have your bases covered. By the way..What year and model?

Old 06-06-2006, 11:58 AM

the only problem with the steps you gave me are that my pulley and hardware fell off. i was only able to recover the pulley. the bracket with the shafe the pulley goes on are still on the motor, i just need the hardware to re-install the pulley.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 AM
HCF Member

<-=--- silently crying...or laughing.

Dude...You have the compressor still mounted to the engine...
The shaft is still intact on the compressor...
You have the pulley....

You need one bolt and one washer?

Get to a junk yard and pull the bolt/washer from the same year/model and get to chill'n like a vill'n

Old 06-07-2006, 03:09 PM

yup, all i need is 1 bolt and 1 washer. and i will be chillin like a villian