Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

need help new to california

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 AM
HCF Member
Default need help new to california

i need help my car wont pass smog even tho it has 50 state legal parts on it except the cat i have a magnaflow universal cat on my car, im in a predicament since i just moved here since im kinda tight on money.
1. buy a new cat any place you can find one that isnt from the dealr for 650?
2. get the damn thing illegally smoged since this state is a pain in the ***.heard that some people do it for around 200 or something like that around the carlsbad area.

my car specs are:
97 civic 5 speed ex coupe
edelbrock turbo kit
cat-back exhaust
lightweight flywheel
act carbon clutch

if any one has any ideas please pm me please i need help i just barely moved to cali from vegas and this is my daily driver

Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Honestly, i would probably get it illegally smogged. People in CA are doing it left and right.

And I wouldn't feel immoral about it either... the Magnaflow cat isn't bad for the environment, and it's not like you're using a test pipe.

Just be careful and don't get in trouble from doing illegal smog.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 PM

I used to live in Cali - Whatever you do, don't do it illegally. I would remove a few of the parts and replace with stock ones. Then get it smogged, then throw it back on.

My buddy back home in Cali has a 92 Hatch with a B20 & a turbo + some other misc aftermarket items - Wouldn't pass smog for ****.

And watch out for those damn CHP ********.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:38 PM
HCF Member

where in california did you move to? emission standards in cali sucks. i would go go to some junk yard and replace with stock parts, get it smog, and put the parts back on. or if you have a friend that happens to have a civic also you can borrow his parts. lol

Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Honestly, i would probably get it illegally smogged. People in CA are doing it left and right.

And I wouldn't feel immoral about it either... the Magnaflow cat isn't bad for the environment, and it's not like you're using a test pipe.

Just be careful and don't get in trouble from doing illegal smog.

Um dont do that unless you want the B.A.R Bureo of automotive repair knocking on your door and jail sentence, once you have taken your car and it failed smog, its in the computer that it failed smog one more time and it goes straight to state ref. it looks funny but if you live anywere near L.A when you need smog again i got a guy that does my car for 150