Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help with leak on my 95 Civic EX AT

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Default Need help with leak on my 95 Civic EX AT

I just purchased this car used with 130k miles about a month ago, and I just found out it has a leak. Looked under the car and it seems like the entire front end underneath engine is covered with gunk and oil. I noticed oil dripping pretty much everywhere, including drain plug, off the exhaust right next to oil pan and mostly the passenger side on the metal casing, i guess the transmission case (sorry im a noob to this). I cleaned everything out with a degreaser, and it seems like theres no more leakage from the drain plug and oil pan area. But i can see liquid condensing before my eyes on the bare metal case, which is more on the passenger side and begin to drip. Thought it was tranny fluid, but the liquid is dark brown, and I checked the tranny fluid on dipstick, which is still bright red. Is it possible this might be tranny fluid? because i dont see how the oil collects on the metal case, i can't determine where it's coming from. Anyone know how much it cost to fix a problem like this? i might be headed to the dealer soon. Any help appreciated

Old 10-27-2006, 11:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need help with leak on my 95 Civic EX AT

it sounds like oil. tranny fluid is pinkish red. is it manual or auto? wipe down the whole engine as clean as u can. then run the car with you checking out underneath the hood. i think its leaking from the valve cover, im not sure, cause im not there. but look very closley. good luck.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:54 PM
HCF Member

Its an auto trans (manuals don't have dip sticks). Good job cleaning out the engine. I would find the top most point where there is oil and start from there. If the leak is starting near the place where the engine and trans bolt together, you might have a leaking rear main seal. I would also check the oil pan gasket very well b/c the pan gasket goes all around the engine and there are many spots where it can leak.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:10 AM

thanks for the help, yea its an auto tranny, im leaving 3 little puddles of oil in a triangle formation wherever i park lol. I been checking the engine thoroughly, and i can't tell where the oil is starting from the top down. Youre probably right about leaking seals...is this major work? how much would a dealer charge for something like this? does the pan gasket reach onto the passenger side? most of the leak is coming from the passenger side off of the metal.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:41 AM

I had a leak simular to what your talking about on my 94 ex auto....Ended up being the V-tech soliniod(sp) gasket. It was causing it to drip out the back onto the header and out the front dribbling down the tranny...Did the gasket and the little filter is comes with now its fine...Was 21 bucks from honda....Take alook at that and see if its your problem