Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need help getting my 1995 hond civc hatchback running again

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:52 AM

how do i check for them

Old 09-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Find the test plug under the carpet just below the glove box on the right side panel of the car. It's a small 2 wire plug that isn't connected to anything. Next to it will be a 3 wire plug not connected to anything. Put a jumper wire in to short the two pins of the 2 wire plug. Then turn the key on but don't crank. The CEL should either come on and stay on (if there are no codes) or start blinking out codes.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:15 PM

thanks i ll check it out now

Old 09-17-2011, 01:30 PM

when i jumped the two wires the light just stayed on

Old 09-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It appears there are no codes then. It could also be that the ECU is not remembering codes. Leave the jumper in and try to start. Then keep the key on and see if the CEL starts blinking.

Take the distributor cap off and see that the rotor is secure on the shaft. Common for the bolt to fall out and cause the rotor to go out of sync, producing useless mistimed sparks. Also check the rotor and cap for cracks and other problems.

Also you could check the fuel flow out of the regulator. Don't disconnect at the fuel filter, that isn't as good a test as it doesn't prove that the pump is developing enough pressure to actuate the regulator.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:40 PM

is the main relay sapposed to make a click noise when i turn the key on or off?

Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

It should be like one click when key turn to ON position when most of indicator lights turn on the dash, how many click do you hear ??

Old 09-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There are actually two relay sections inside the main relay. One is closed all the time the key is on. It powers part of the ECU and the fuel injectors. The other section runs the fuel pump. It will turn off after 2 seconds of key on engine not running, or otherwise when the engine is not running.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:03 AM

it makes one click when i turn key on and one click when i turn it off I keep going over everything but i dunno it gets tons of spar has new wires and cap on the distributar its getting fuel from injectors battery is a bit week but i have tried to boost it and have battery cables on it now I have also set the timing in the car no ecu codes come up my oil light is on tho but i dunno what the prob is

Old 09-18-2011, 02:40 PM

as I have found on the main relay is sapposed to make 3 clicks and mine does I have check for cracks in soder and there is none the cars fuel pump and injectoer are working my oil and battery light are on tho car is full of oil I have check all fuses air box ecu codes distribrater nothing the timiming make are lined up correct and have tried it a tooth this way or that way nothing get spark gets fuel I can smell it but doesn t even seem to want to chug or spit nothing i am ready to light a match and walk away from this rig lol I have seen alot of people having this same issue with the civics of this year no one seems to exactly know what causes the prob for it tho which sucks anymore ideas will be greatly appracitated

Quick Reply: Need help getting my 1995 hond civc hatchback running again