Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need door aligning tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 PM
HCF Member
Default Need door aligning tips

Top of my driver's side door doesn't seal well with body. Door is misaligned a bit. Plan on fixing it but have never dealt with this before. Should I have door closed and loosen hinge bolts enough that I can manuever the door so the top seals properly and retighten? Or does the door need to be open for any adjustment?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well before you try and work your butt off adjusting... CHECK HINGE BUSHINGS FOR SLOP!!!!!!!
if your bushings are worn like MOST LIKELY THEY ARE you can do alot of work for nothing!

open the door up half way and try and pick up the door on the side. if it moves even slightly up and down.... its time to replace hinges.
also try it with the door all the way open as well for slop in the bushings.

but unfortunately honda didnt make the hinge bushings replaceable so you have to replace the whole hinge top and bottom which aint to cheap.
and to replace OR just TRY ADJUSTING the hinges its best to remove the front fenders. hardest part about removing them myself was pulling the bottom side molding off to get to that very bottom fender bolt.
and before you remove any bolts its best to either get a marker and put circles on all the bolts heads on the fenders itself that way when you put them back together you just bolt it up to go right in that circle you just made!
downfall with that is then you have marks all over the bolt holes, so two more alternatives are simply some tape around the bolt holes but not easy to get lined up exactly. OR if you can find some kinda washable pen to use.

but when doing the door hinges be sure to marker up that sucker really good before you ever crack one of its bolts.. and thats BOTH ON THE DOOR ITSELF AND THE CAR ITSELF, and do the whole thing! around bolt holes and also around the outside of the hinges.
this way if you are buying new hinges you can simply line up the new hinges to the marks and it should be perfect alignment! it takes alot of the guess and trial and error work outta it!
been there done that, hate hondas door pins!
i love my chevy trucks door pins its a simple knock the pin out and little bushings and simply pop the new copper bushings and pins back in and its done which reminds me i need to do mine. lol