Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need an alternator mounting bolt - parts help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation Need an alternator mounting bolt - parts help

I need to locate where (other than the $$$ Dealer) to get a new alternator lower pivot bolt, washer and nut. Does anyone know where to find a Honda part # database/diagrams? I have found on several sites exploded views, but it is only the alternator, no external mount or mounting bolts listed.

It's on a '95 Civic LX 4 door, 4 speed automatic, D15B7 1.5L non-VTEC, A/C, non-ABS. The alternator is a Mitsubishi AHGA19 70 amp, 5519, flat-ribbed drivebelt pulley

I had to tighten my alternator drivebelt, it had been slipping a bit. Adjusted it and tightened the top bolt, then got underneath to tighten the bottom mounting bolt where it pivots. THERE WAS NO BOTTOM PIVOT BOLT! WTF?! Only thing I noticed was I heard belt squeak a few times at startup, and battery sounded a little weak (but it's only 6 mos old). Everything was in place, but no bolt thru the mount bracket! I remembered about 2 years ago I had a shop replace my drivebelts, and Bubba the Grease Monkey forgot to re-install the bolt while he had the alternator loose getting the belts on. I've been lucky that all it did was the belt got a little bit loose, guess the top bolt was holding everything, the spacer collar is still in the lower mount, so I just need to wrench in a bolt and tighten it good.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

my old 94 civic had the same thing when i pulled the blown motor out. the lower bolt and nut was completly gone! you can simply use any standard bolt and washers,nuts that will work just fine... only difference is the stock bolt has a square head so you dont have to hold the bolt while tightening the nut. but can be done just fine...

but the hardwares not to much at dealership... just do it right and forget about it.
but if your cheap or no dealership close to you then just cheap out will work just fine. but i do suggest either using a nylon locking nut or just a jam nut to hold the bolt in tight.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

Go here and see the diagram
http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/s...omp=List%20All
you're looking for #19 and #30.

1990057-PG7-003BOLT, ALTERNATOR11995CIVIC5.003.90
3094050-10080NUT, FLANGE (10MM)11995CIVIC0.870.68
It looks like if you go to dealer it should cost roughly $6 for it. Of course, it might cost you $4 at Lowes but it works better.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
HCF Member

Thanks Mundy! That's exactly the info I needed. Makes me wonder if the guy either failed to reinstall it when they put fresh belts on, or he didn't tighten it up good, and it rattled out? Been this way for about 2 yrs. and I never knew it! Only thing was every 6-8 months I had to snug up the belt, kept creeping loose enough to not charge as it should. Just goes to show Civics are "almost" idiot-proof if you give 'em a little love & maintenance!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

most likely they just didnt tighten the nut enough. i almost did that on both of my civics.
when i put the alternators on the car i kept the lower bolt loose so you could tighten up the top adjustment and after i tightened that up i ALMOST forgot about tightening the bottom nut.. about 3times or so when i changed or adjusted the alternator i had the car down and ready to drive out before it just poped in my head.... O CRAP forgot to tighten that bottom nut.LOL
luckely i always remembered. but at least the lower bracket is pretty tight and snug so its not a serious if the bolt falls out...
but when i did mine i went ahead and put a jam nut on the bolt just to be safe..

Old 01-25-2009, 04:39 PM

I forgot to tighten mine once, it fell out while driving and I couldn't find anything or figure out what made the clank noise, and then my alternator bearing went bad later, probably from having no pivot bolt. When I replaced the alternator I discovered this. That was about a $200 mistake for me.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, that wouldn't be good. Got my replacement awhile back, just have to find time (and a friend with a lift) to get it done. Along with several other things I need to have it on the lift for. Got the parts, but gotta be able to lift the car to do them.......change the oil pan gasket, tie rod ends, and that pesky bolt. Just am not up to lying on my back trying to do that stuff in 90` summertime with my limited tools and no lift. Soon, I hope!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

hell when i bought my 94civic... it didnt even have the pivot bolt.LOL i didnt notice it till i was putting in the replacement motor and swapping over the accessories.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

When I do put it on, I like your idea of putting a jam nut over the end threads. Did you use a nylon-insert locking nut possibly? Or just crank a regular one against the mount?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i just used a regular jam nut. if your going to use a nifty nylon nut just use it and not the first nut no jam nut needed.