Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

is my timing Belt off by a few teeth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Default is my timing Belt off by a few teeth?

Hello,

I put a timing light on my civic (96 DX Automatic). If I turn the dist all the way one way the timing mark is off by like 1- 1.5 inchs, if I turn the distrib back the other way all the way I can get the timing marks within maybe 1/2 in of where is should be. I got the $39.99 Timing light from Autozone it has no adjustments just straight timing.

I double checked that I was on wire #1 (far right next to timing belt cover) and I was looking as straight on as I could.

To Fix this what do I have to take a part? Haynes manual says remove upper motor mount, valve cover, all drive belts, upper and lower timing covers.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Default RE: is my timing Belt off by a few teeth?

just put a new timing belt in my car also, new head and water pump, I hope you replaced your water pump while it was apart. I didnt use a timing light, and with replacing belt why would you have to even mess with your cap, I used my haynes manual, drank a few beers and runs perfect. I put a jack under my motor and undid the mount and raised and lowered motor w/ that, valve cover did not need to be removed all belts were removed obviously, crank pulley has to be removed to get the covers off to access timing belt, its a 14 or 15 mm socket to adjust the tensioner, line up cam marks and bottom marks and should be good to go

Old 09-24-2006, 05:39 PM
HCF Member

theres a timing connector under the dashboard that needs to be jumped before you can shoot timing. if it isnt jumped you will not be able to properly set timing.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: finalimpact

theres a timing connector under the dashboard that needs to be jumped before you can shoot timing. if it isnt jumped you will not be able to properly set timing.
That's right! Here is the link: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_159828/tm.htm