Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Is My Headgasket Blown?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:38 PM
HCF Member
Default Is My Headgasket Blown?

Alright so I'll make a long story short, here's the backround info

Car-overheated on highway, coolant boiled, cracked my radiator, and white smoke was coming out of the exhaust at idle. I changed the radiator, thermostat & coolant and it seemed fine for a few weeks and I didn't notice any white smoke from the exhaust.

Yesterday I was hitting some boost and get home and notice coolant dripping. So I look for the source and it was coming out of my overflow. The temperature of the car stayed normal while this happened. So today I topped it up while it ran and let the fan come on about 5 times with the rad cap off, the entire time i noticed small bubbles consistently rising (some of them seemed murky). I took some samples of the coolant and couldn't really see oil unless it is mixed in very well. I jacked up the front and squeezed all the coolant lines, there was no air trapped in them. I checked the muffler for white smoke and there is a small amount only noticeable when you kneel down and look in.

So is this a blown headgasket? My oil isn't milky or anything like that. This is a Cometic headgasket about 2 years old, ARP studs, I te-torqued them once about a year ago. The car still runs fine other than the coolant bubbles. I took it for a little drive for about 5 minutes today and it didn't bubble up into the overflow, although it does always bubble if you look at it with the rad cap off. My guess is the high revving and boost accelerates the overflowing.

Anything else this could be before I rip the head off and possibly have to get the head resurfaced? Also if anyone knows somewhere who stocks cometic headgaskets or any other with the same quality (Mopac would have to order, would prefer not waiting two weeks) that would be helpful.

Thanks guys

Last edited by bcrichguitars; 09-16-2011 at 05:42 PM.