Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My civic makes weird noises, especially when the car is cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Exclamation My civic makes weird noises, especially when the car is cold

My civic is making very weird sounds, especially when it's cold. It's a 2002 SI-G 2dr coupe. If i go start up my car now(havent driven it in 3 hours) There will be an annoying whirling noise in the engine ( sounds like it comes from around my short ram intake. The car is manual. If i press the clucth pedal down all the way, the noise stops. As soon as I release the pedal, the noise comes again. The noise is also there when I am accelerating in 1st, 2nd,3rd etc. But when I pop it it Reverse the sound isnt there. The car is at 178k km and I have never changed the clucth on it yet. When I pop it down from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd theres a disturbing noise coming from the engine, doesn't sound ehalthy. Im guessing it is either my flywheel, clucth, tranny or the Slave cylinder. I need some advice on what I should do next to solve this problem. thanks in advance!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like a bad input shaft bearing in the transmission. If so, you are probably best off replacing the transmission.