Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

My '07 Civic Si seems to use a lot of oil . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Default My '07 Civic Si seems to use a lot of oil . . .

If I don't pay attention and forget to check my oil, my Low Oil lamp will come on just before the maintenance reminder does. I'd say that by the time the oil needs to be changed (I do it every 5,000 miles), I might be down two quarts. I haven't noticed any evidence of a leak on the driveway or anything. I've heard its normal for these VTECs to use quite a bit of oil, but being that this is the first car I've owned that's used such a prodigious amount of oil, I figured I'd ask.

FYI, I've always kept it filled with 5W30 full synthetic, until today, when I had them use a synthetic blend instead . . .

Kevin

Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM

I have a 2000 si and it consumes about that much as well. It didn't do it when it was a new as yours though. However in the research I've done, Honda apparently allows for something like a quart consumed every 1,000 miles, at least on my engine. I have seemed to lower the amount consumed lately and I'd attribute it to changing of the PCV valve. It was a $25 dollar part, and because it's a pain to get to on my car I paid $20 for the mechanic to change when he did my oil change. It seemed to make a difference, and I've not noticed as much oil consumption as before. Yes the old PCV was found to be bad when removed.

If you are still under warranty, or close, take it to the dealer as tell them about it. They most likely will quote Honda specs that it is normal to consume that amount. If you are in VTEC a good deal look behind you and more than likely you will see smoke. The less you're in VTEC the less you'll burn. Not so much fun that way though :-p

Old 10-14-2010, 02:53 PM
HCF Member
Lightbulb

Hello Kevin,
I also think that is alot of oil use. I have never owned a Vetec. How many miles are on the car? Please keep an eye on the oil level letting it go till the light comes on is not good, 2 qts low is bad for the engine causing more wear on the rings and other engine parts. The change of the pvc may help the oil use. What brand and type of oil are you using? I would also change the oil at 3000 to 3500 miles to keep my engine lasting longer with fewer problems. You said you see no oil on the driveway,but some times the oil will leak only when you drive does your engine have alot of oil around the valve cover or around the oil filter? Hope you can solve this problem and keep us posted on the problem. Thanks, 2010 civiclx

Old 10-15-2010, 12:17 AM
Stinky Administrator

The new civic's are rated at 7,000 miles between oil changes now. And from what ive read online the SI motors seem to use oil but not that much. When did you start the synthetic oil how many miles on the car? It could be you used synthetic oil to soon and the motor's rings never seated right. Post back and let us know so we can help you better.