Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

method of removing distributor rotor

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Default method of removing distributor rotor

First remove screw holding rotor on distributor shaft. I appreciate that this is not easy.
There are lots of help articles on that subject. The two that stood out the most for me
was to (1) take distributor out and work on it from a bench OR (2) ensure the phillips
head screwdriver is the proper size; one guy suggested grinding off the tip so that the
philips fins full engaged the philip hole in the screww.

Secondly, if the rotor does not easily come off, do not fret. Put a little antirust fluid into
the screw hole. I used WD 40. Just a little. Wait a few minutes so that the thin oil can
seep between the rotor and shaft via capillary action. 3 minutes is enough.

Then grab the rotor with a pair of vice grips and wobble the rotor and concurrently push the
rotor off the shaft. At first just your hand wobbles. Then in a moment or two the rotor should
slide off.

Clean the shaft (mine looked a bit rusty at the end of the shaft). I then put a very thin film of
graphite anti-sieze on the inside bearing surface of the new rotor. Use sparingly. For all intents
and purposes, I cleaned off all excess with my finger so that the bearing surface barely had any
anti-sieze on it at all.

I replaced the rotor. installed the screw. I would advise changing to a hex screw and using a
mild form of thread-tite.

If anybody has problems with the above, I would appreciate hearing them. I will help.

Bil