Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

low end bog?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Default low end bog?

My car is a 1998 honda civic ex coupe. 163,xxx miles. I have noticed this since i bought it .. about 4.5k miles. Last Nov for my b-day. Alright, so when i go to take off from a stop (not like fast or anything, just normal acceleration to 2.5k rpm then shift into 2nd) it feels like the car bogs back and fourth to get going when i floor it, same with 2nd gear, then after about 3k rpm it's all good and i have smooth accel. One of my best friends makes fun of my car all the time (haha typical Z32 owner) saying my car has no torque .. and well basicaly he's right. lol But could that be the reason? I've ridden in many other 6th gen civics and they dont seem to have this problem from the get-go.

By the way, my motor is a completely stock D16Y8, and has never been opened before. Transmission is good, clutch is a little worn out from me learning how to drive a stick on this car. haha but it's fine. Drivetrain is all checked out, my local shop is friends with my dad so i bring my car in there monthly for a check up on everything. Sooo i have no idea if this is a problem, or just normal ****ty-no-torque accel? haha

Thanks guys!

Old 04-29-2007, 06:47 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: low end bog?

What is your Ignition timing set to? It should be 12 degrees BTDC. Also when was the last time you did a full tune up? ((plugs, wires, filter, etc...))

BTW, I have the same car, and sometime I have the same problem.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM

ummmm what? lol. I dont know much about ignition timing, or where/how to change it, or even look at it for that matter. But i do know that I had a full engine/car everything tune up when i bought it 4.5k miles ago in Nov.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

Take it over to your friends shop and have them check the timing. He will know how to do it. Also have him check the throttle cable tension.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:15 PM

alright i will. thanks

Old 04-29-2007, 10:47 PM
HCF Member

If you have any other questions just PM me. Hope it fixes it for you. It worked wonders for mine when I got it set right.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:01 PM
HCF Member

I have a litte bog too, but it only happens when i'm doing like 20 and floor it in fourth. If I slowly accelerate from fourth it's fine though. But generally if I floor it in a gear too hight for the application it does this.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 PM
HCF Member

^^^ That is because 20mph in fourth gear is way to high of a gear. LOL Why would you floor it in fourth at 20 MPH?

Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 PM

do you think my oxygen sensor or knock sensor would have any effect on the matter? .. Cause my check engine light has been on for many many many miles because of either one of them .lol

Old 04-30-2007, 10:18 PM

Oh, and another thing, this only happens when my engine is nice and warm, it never happens right after a cold start.

Quick Reply: low end bog?