Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loss Of Power, Car Stalled, Engine Won't Turn. HELP =(

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:02 AM
Default Loss Of Power, Car Stalled, Engine Won't Turn. HELP =(

It's a sad day for me. I surely thought that my lil civic would start to perform quite well at least for another couple hundred thousand miles. What a bummer. Here's what happened; I need your help please:

I drive a 1999 Honda Civic LX with a manual transmission. I took the car out of town Friday afternoon. She ran awesome on the highway but I DID notice that she hesitated three or four times on the drive. It seems like the power would momentarily cut and then we'd regain power. Sorta like a putt-putt feeling. Saturday afternoon, as I attempted to drive back home (150 miles away), my car cut out and died. I turned it back on and then got it running again but I noticed that even as I gave it gas, the rpm's and the engine slowly died. There was no acceleration even with the gas pedal all the way in. After she died this time, she no longer turned on. I am stumped as to what it is. My fuel injectors are clean and my fuel pump is working as I can hear it when I turn the key.

I've already replaced the following:

1. Idle Air Control Valve
2. Battery (with the cable connectors)
3. Distributor Cap & Rotor
4. Coil
5. Spark Plugs
6. Plug Wires
7. Fuel Filter
8. Air Filter
9. Oil
10. Ignition Control Module
11. Vaccum hoses have all been checked and there are no leaks.

I honestly do not know what else it could be. I fix one thing, and then three more things break down. I've got 149,000 miles on the odometer. My best bet as to what it is?

1. Throttle Positioning Sensor
2. Timing Belt. (Never been changed and sometimes it shrieked when I ran my a/c)
3. Blown Fuse?

This is all I can think of. I have a motorcycle for alternate means of transportation but I cannot ride to work everyday and I really need to get this thing running. Can someone please help out and give their 2 cents worth? I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Aeon_Blue; 08-03-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Assuming the engine cranks normally (it's not seized) but won't start, my guesses would be:

Skipped / stripped timing belt
Bad coil
Rotor screw fell out

Take the top timing belt cover off and check the cam timing. Then check for spark.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 AM

Thanks. I'll check my rotor later today, however, i am more than certain the rotor is nice n snug. My coil is nearly brand new. Its like 6 months old or so. I am thinking it may be my belt. My engine turns but wont crank..