Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Long term Maintenance at 90K

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Default Long term Maintenance at 90K

My first post to the Civic Forum, though I own three Integras (one for me, two for kids), owned an Accord, and had a couple Honda motorcylces years ago.

I just picked up an inexpensive 2001 EX with 88K on it and a bad automatic tranny (first gear slips). I've read about the problems with the filter and plates and am in the process of pulling the tranny. I ordered an OEM Honda rebuild kit, a set of Red Eagle plates from JEGS (I wanted the ITC Master kit but they are out of stock with no projected restock), and a B&M cooler and external filter to keep the transmission cool, clean and long term reliable. Since I'm in there, I'm also throwing in a torque converter from Delenzie (though the Delanzie tech told me that Honda makes some of the best converters they see).

Besides the rebuild, is there anything else I should do while I have the transmission out and apart?

On the motor I'm thinking a new rear main seal on the crank would be good insurance.

It's not quite due for a timing belt yet so I'll probably wait another 10K before I replace it along with the tensioner and water pump and maybe a front seal.

Fresh transmssion hoses? Coolant hoses?

Starter?

Lower ball joints?

How about the radiator? I've had two Integra radiators go out at about 80K.

Exhaust looks OK--not great--it could use a B pipe. Front CV joints/axles look OK and no free play or cracks in theboots.

Most of the regular maintenance was done--plugs, oil, new battery, etc.

I don't want to waste good money, but I plan to keep this car awhile and would rather put the money and labor in while the car is apart, accessible and up on jack stands than have to tear into it again in the next couple of years.

(Maybe I will go ahead and do that timing belt!)

Thoughts, recommendations on preventive maintenance?

Thanks

Kontoboy

Last edited by Kontoboy; 09-29-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:05 AM
HCF Member

You seem to know what you are doing.

Pour in all of your money while you can on everything you can think of so you don't have to do it again. Your pocket may be light for a while but you will have good car to drive in.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I'd do the timing belt now; it's due based on years if not miles, and you're taking much of it apart anyway. Automatic to manual conversion might be something to consider, I think it can still be done rather readily on the 7th generation models.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 AM

I think your right about aging of the timing belt. Might as well do it. I just did on an Integra last month so it's becoming routine.

I read and briefly thought about the automatic to manual conversion. The problem is my wife won't drive a stick--she can, just won't. And I have a strong preference for an automatic. I work in downtown Washington, DC and we have some of the worst traffic congestion in the nation. (Aalways in the top 10, generally in the top 5 in the nation for traffic, #1 a couple years ago.) Driving a stick as you crawl along in bumper to bumper traffic is no fun at all. I think with the beefed up clutch plates and the cooler and external filter my automatic transmission should be OK with a stock motor and frequent fluid changes.

Thanks for the advice.

Kontoboy