Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

key difficult to turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:13 PM
HCF Member
Default key difficult to turn

I have a 1999 Honda Civic LX M/T and it is often difficult to turn the key in the ignition. Like you stick it in, and it won't turn. I take the key out and flip it over and that sometimes works, or I jiggle the steering wheel back and forth and jiggle the key around in the ignition until it turns. I don't have an original copy of the car's key, just copies, so that could be the problem, but I don't think thats it. I'm thinking it's just something that sticks or something in there. Any ideas of what it could be or how to fix it? Thanks.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: key difficult to turn

Have you tried squirting some graphite lube in the lock? That stuff work wonders. Looks like this:

Old 09-14-2007, 06:51 PM
HCF Member

All I have is some WD40, would that be ok? If not, where can I get graphite lubricant?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

Don't spray WD-40 directly into the switch...you will short something out. I have the exact same car as you and I was having the same problem as you are having earlier in the summer. Spray the WD-40 on the key, and wipe the key down. Like others said put graphite lube in the switch (you can probably get it at the hardware store, I just found mine laying around). It worked for me...good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

I tried spraying WD40 on my key and wiping it dry and putting the key in, but I am fairly confident it is not a lubrication problem. I think it has to do with the mechanism that makes it so you have to push the key in to be able to take it out of the ignition.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

Well, mine sticks every once in a while too, but it's usually when my wheels are turned. It also sometimes does it when the wheels are straight. All you need to do it wiggle the wheel a little, and it will turn. In the manual, it even discusses this, it's due to the steering anti-theft lock and it's perfectly normal. You still might want to try the graphite lube though...

Old 09-14-2007, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I try rocking the steering wheel back and forth cuz of the steering wheel lock too, but that doesn't do it. I'll probably give that graphite lube a try. What seems to be working best though is with the key inserted, I just push it back and forth along the flat side (down towards the pedals and back up towards my head), pushing it in at an angle I guess? It's hard to describe, but that seems to get it to work at least 1/3 of the time. Maybe the mechanism in there where you have to push the key in to turn it back all the way and take out is worn out.