Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

JDM D15b HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 PM

cool man. where did you get the info? all the searching i have done leads me to a d15b8 due to head stamps like pm8-1 etc. But it is the 16 valve which would lead me to believe b7- unless i am totally retarded...either way- b7 or b2- i still need to figure out whatto do about the exhaust system i started the thread for (manifold and cat converter). I am also going to get some replacement bolts and clean things up a bit- that is what is kind of wierding me out- i really didn't expect to pull off the cover and see the head looking that new- like brand spankin shiny new. it makes it really hard to imagine it is from a 91 vic. Shoot- it was hard to believe it might of come off a 95 del sol s or something...What would you do? At this point i am just trying to make a good call and get set. Once i am sure that what i am fixing to do is going to work- i'll get it done. Then i can stop hitting you up for all this info. Thank goodness for you dude- but hopefully you won't be hearing from me for much longer lol

Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

D15B2 is almost identical to D15B7 -- 16 valve non-VTEC. Consider your car to be a 1993 DX then. Use those stock parts: iron manifold, connects to a front pipe that goes under the engine, then the converter under the car.

Is your O2 sensor one wire or 4 wire? Also you should get the numbers off of the ECU, which is behind the trim panel on the side of the car where the passenger's feet go.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the confirmation- that is pretty much exactly what i was getting from my research. Both kind of the same as far as valves, compression, and horsepower from what i have been able to tell. Ok- the thing that has made this confusing is the guy hooked up the old CX type exhaust manifold and front cat (attached to the manifold directly beneath it and located right in front of the engine). Maybe using the old exhaust system with a new higher flow head is why the manifold cracked and the cat interior is shot to **** and kind of melted? Anyway- here the answer to one of your 2 questions- it is a 4 wire 02 sensor from what i can tell- 2 white 1 green and 1 black from what i can tell. I don't really want to buy new but i figured if i was going to replace all this to go with a new one. IDK. Let me check the ecu number and i'll post that too. Now that i know i am going to have to literally redo the exhaust i am hoping i am good on the electronics...I have the feeling it is going to be the original CX ecu- i am not getting the impression that the guy who did this swap was the brightest dude around. In a week of asking questions and doing some research i have already noticed a couple things he jacked up...To conclude- ECU code to come...and thanks again...