Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

JDM D15b HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM

thanks man. I am going to give it one last try at napa this afternoon. Right now, not knowing the head origion (for sure- im taking this guys word who apparently knows even less than i do), and wondering if the exhaust has been pieced together, i am going to take in the exhuast manifold (again) and try to find something that matches. Worst case scenario- i have to call honda and get exactly the right parts and pay through the nose for them. At this point i am pretty pissed and i am just sticking it out to try and salcage my pride. I am going to post results and pics of alllllll the old parts and the new parts and maybe it will contribute something to this discussion. Wish me luck and thanks for all your input.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

if you want a cheap replacement for your manifold, maybe get a cheap ebay header? since its a d series, any of them will fit. then you'll need 02 wire extenders (ebay, 20 bucks) and some kind of aftermarket cat since you're trying to keep it legal. then of course you'll also need someone to hook it up for you at a muffler shop, but that shouldn't cost much...

or am I wrong? are aftermarket headers illegal in cali?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by Shandles
if you want a cheap replacement for your manifold, maybe get a cheap ebay header? since its a d series, any of them will fit. then you'll need 02 wire extenders (ebay, 20 bucks) and some kind of aftermarket cat since you're trying to keep it legal. then of course you'll also need someone to hook it up for you at a muffler shop, but that shouldn't cost much...

or am I wrong? are aftermarket headers illegal in cali?

cali is very strict, it has to be C.A.R.B. APPROVED, an stuff like that isnt cheap. best to just do stock

Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
cali is very strict, it has to be C.A.R.B. APPROVED, an stuff like that isnt cheap. best to just do stock
...man, that must suck.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Don't know if you guys are still following this or whatnot but i have news...i am going to try and use the combo 96-00 mainfold/cat...it looks like it will fit. The downside is i am going to have to plug the bottom of the cat where the second o2 sensor (which i don't have or use since it is a 93 head) would go. Anyone anticipate any problems??? Since it is an exhaust for a newer and larger engine i don't anticipate any flow problems- then again, i'm pretty noob...The manifold bolt pattern is identical and the dimensions of the header cat are close- hope it is good enough. There are like 10 companies that offer a direct fit replacement that i have found- none of them offering cali legal. FML. So now i am being forced to try and make something work- Thanks california. On the bright side, i am military and i decided to register the vehicle in my homestate, so cali can blow me because now all i have to do is pass the sniffer test...

Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Default head identification

The adventure continues...I need to know how to go about identifying the head that this dude put on the d15b block before selling it to me. I have noticed that the oil cap is located in the front left of the head- which i have not seen before. Am i losing it guys? I am getting kind of in the weeds with this- all i need to know is what i am working with so i can figure out what to do next. I have the d15b block- that is confirmed. Now i need to know what head i have- any tips in identification would be helpful...Thank you- Jordan

Old 01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Chubby Chaser

Look here and post me what it says on head just above exhaust manifold

Name:  34d77544.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  y8headstamp.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  31.2 KB

Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM

94civichatch- thanks for your input man. I am learning as i go with a lot of help from you guys... I downloaded the honda repair manual and i have been snatching all the diagrams and info i can. Ok- checked the head stamp and it says PM8-4. PM8-4. Checked the code on it and it says it should be d15b8- but it is a 16 valve...on the bright side- i took the cover off today and it looks gooooood. Like brand new man. I got a photo on my cell, can put it on facebook but tougher here. Anyway, i have decided to go honda parts once i nail this down (nobody else makes good direct fit- there are like 4 different manifold/cat converter combos for this year) and take it to honda for a full tune. Then i can work body and suspension slow and save money for a d16z6 head and all the gear to go with it. As long as this jdm d15b and usdm d15b8? combo runs good (fingers crossed- still hoping for someone to tell me it is doable and should be problem free to run it this way) i should be able to smog and then i have a dependable car i can work on over time, which is exactly what i want. Talk about an emotional roller coaster man- just want this to work

Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Also- compared my pics to head diagram in repair manual- most closely matches d15b7. Same questions apply- ok to run this head/block combo?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Chubby Chaser

91 civic DX D15b2 ---------------PM8

your fine, its just a ""performance" head.

Quick Reply: JDM D15b HELP!!!