Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Intermittent No Power

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Default Intermittent No Power

I have a 1999 Honda Civic. Occasionally, when I turn the key to start the car, there is no power. Battery is new and was checked with charger and has sufficient voltage.

I can get the car to start a few minutes afterwards and it runs fine without any intervention.

Any ideas what might be causing this? So far mechanic has been unable to find an issue because the problem cannot be replicated (occurs at random times -- sometimes after car has sat for a day, sometimes after just having been run).

I have noticed when starting it, on a couple of occasions, the car seems to 'catch' before turning over -- I will hear a clicking noise and car will start. Not sure yet if this occurs right before the next 'no power' scenario.

Radio presets are wiped out when no power situation occurs, so the car is acting like it has a dead battery but then it comes to life on its own.

Any thoughts on where I might look?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Usually it's a bad connection at the battery. Take the battery terminals off, clean them and the battery posts, and reconnect securely. Loosen the nut and spread the terminal open so it goes all the way down onto the battery post.