Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Intermittent idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Default Intermittent idle issue

Hello gang. Civic 2001.

I have an intermittent problem. I will not have it for a day or two, then I will. Sometimes it happens in the morning, sometimes at night. It always seems to be after the car has been turned off for a little while. Once the vehicle warms up, it is usually fine for the trip.

This only happens at very low RPMs. When I am driving at 30+ mph I am fine.

Start the car, put it in drive. When you give it gas, the idle drops and the engine struggles and wants to stall. You give the gas a few quick punches and finally the gas seems to make it to the engine, and when it does, there is now too much gas and the engine revs and you are off.

My initial guess is that the fuel pump is starting to go. When the car starts it struggles to work properly, but when it warms up it is okay. Eventually, I would expect the unit to just cease.

I have ordered a new pump unit and will have it tomorrow. Does this make sense as a diagnosis? I am at the time when the pump should probably be replaced so I consider it a reasonable investment. Could it be something else? My check engine light is not on.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you checked the spark plugs? How old are they?

Old 03-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like a sticky IACV to me. If the fuel pump were that bad, the engine would totally starve for gas when you try to drive it. Basically it would be impossible to go anywhere. When the car drives OK but won't idle, suspect the IACV first.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by durden7
Start the car, put it in drive. When you give it gas, the idle drops and the engine struggles and wants to stall. You give the gas a few quick punches and finally the gas seems to make it to the engine, and when it does, there is now too much gas and the engine revs and you are off.
Mk, this sounds like a hesitation problem not an idle problem.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes you're right Ron now that I read it again. A fuel pressure and/or flow test would be in order before condemning the pump though.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Hmmm. I am starting to wish I didn;t spend 250 on the fuel pump assembly. I will search out the IACV and see if I can't give it a clean.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Read the posts in your thread. You don't have an idle problem, so cleaning the IACV is unnecessary. Replace the spark plugs if they are old and, if the problem continues, measure the fuel pressure.