Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Intake temp. sensor idea...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 03:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Intake temp. sensor idea...

I was looking at Air Intake Temp Sensors and they are way overpriced.

Case in point:: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...oogle&ct=title

So i got to thinking. Could you use an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe long enough to reach teh inside of you CAI? I know that you cannot cut and extend the probe because you would induce more resistance into the wire thus giving a false reading at the readout end, but if you had a probe long enough and it was sheilded well enough wouldn't it work? I found one online for $22 shipped. The whole unit is 1 1/2" X 2" and the probe is 6' long. Let me know what you think.

And no, I dont have a reason for needing one other than I like to try new things and try to do something for less than the greedy parts peddlers will sell it to us for. Plus if it works it might make a good DIY. Who knows.

Give me your feedback.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Intake temp. sensor idea...

An air intake temperature gauge is a very nice add-on and can help when comparing intercoolers or intake setups... are you boosted? If so, I recomened reading it at the IM.

I don't see why a standard houshold thermocouple wouldn't work.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

Cool. So my idea would work. Do you think that I should sheild the whole length of the probe from heat?

No I am not boosted at the present. I am going to be shortly after X-mas though. JR Supercharger. I know I should go turbo, but the more I think about it I want the instant responce you get from a SC. Plus it is a little less upkeep with a SC is it not? I have gotten mixed replys on that issue. If I could find a good reliable turbo kit that was bolt on and go I would go for it.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:22 PM
HCF Member

so, is this for the controller for the supercharger ?
just curious.