Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

installing axles

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:58 PM
Default installing axles

hey i just ordered a pair of axles for my 93 Honda Civic dx. I was wondering how hard is it to remove the old ones and install the new ones? Also if there are any people in the Jacksonville/Orange park area I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a hand. thanks

Old 04-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Default RE: installing axles

you need to remove your wheels, then remove the big 32mm (or 1 1/4) nut holding the axle in the hub. then unbolt the tie rod end and lower ball joint (when you seperate them try not to break the rubber boots). remove the shock forks, or at least unbolt it from the lower control arm, then try to pull the spindle assembly out so the outside cv joint can come out, then use a ball joint fork and put it inbetween the inside cv and the tranny and pry it out(it's only held in by a little c clip so it should not take much effort).

installation is just like the removal, just force the axle into the tranny till it clips it and won't come out easily. but be sure to stake the 32mm nut onto the axle so it will not loosen while driving

Old 04-26-2006, 05:09 PM
HCF Member

An impact gun helps on the big 32mm bolt. Don't forget to reinstall the cotter pins, never reuse cotter pins.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:45 PM

Ok, i need some BIG help, quickly, if at all possible... lol. i have a 96 civic and am in the process of a cv replacement, and everything looks ok, but it is almost as if the inner shaft will not go into the tranny. any sspecific ideas as of how to "force" it in there? i already attempted to do this once, but it slipped out because it was not in all the way, and am now paranoid that it will come out again. it looks as if it needs to go in about 3/4"-1" more. if anyone can help, i would greatly appreciate it!!!

Old 06-02-2006, 02:21 PM

Even though the axles just snap into place, they can sometimes be a pain. The problem is that that little circlip moves off center and gets hung up on the internal splines in the tranny which prevents the axle from seating all the way. Most auto makers recommend replacing that little clip, but I never have. My trick is to put a little bit of grease on the clip so that you can center it around the axle before sliding it into the tranny. The grease should help hold that little clip in the right position. Either way, if you work it just right it will go in, there's nothing else to it.