Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ignition chase

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Default Ignition chase

Hi,
I looked through the history of posts and want to see if I can get some confirmation. My 96 DX was running great and suddenly shut off (sounds familliar right?). The timing belt is OK, I pulled the covers to verify it was there and it looks great.
Recently I have changed the rotor, distributor, coil, to get smoother running, fuel filter, Spark plugs, O2 sensors, Catalytic convertor and muffler. When it shut off, it would crank (I did not crank it too much until I could check the timing belt) but it would not really try to fire up. I literally pushed it home.[:@]

Two days later, after I checked the belt and just kind of looked for something obvious, I turned the key and my little friend just fired up and ran just fine. That is great, meaning nothing major is wrong, though I am concerned about the stall as we head into winter. I do not want to be stalled out on a highway somewhere...

From what I read, it sounds like it might be related to the ignighter or the alternator. Since it is more expensive, probably the ignightor. I understand that to be a regulating device that helps control the spark. How likely is it to act up and then work correctly? Does it sound like the likely culprit?

Any help would be great.

KR

Old 10-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Default RE: Ignition chase

I would almost gaurentee you thats what it is.

Look for a used one as a new one is rediculasly expensive. Check eBay and junk yards.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: LEVIII

I would almost gaurentee you thats what it is.

Look for a used one as a new one is rediculasly expensive. Check eBay and junk yards.
Yeah what he said. I got mine off e-bay for about 30 bucks.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:58 PM

Thanks,
I was hoping to get simple confirmation instead of 10 other possibilities.

I check out the ignighter and post what happens

Old 10-25-2005, 10:16 PM
HCF Member

any chance of moisture in your area around the time of the problem?

Old 10-26-2005, 08:38 AM

Sure there was some from rain but not too heavy and I have been out in a lot of rain with this car. I thought maybe there was moisture in the distributor but when I pulled off the cap, everything looked dry. Plus I had been driving it all day before this happened. Or are you thinking about something else?

I should also mention that I am driving it around today and it appears to be running as usual. It is the infrequent events that worry me most since they are often hard to figure out. I hate to be stranded.

Thanks

Old 10-26-2005, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

here is my advice, buy a used ICM and keep it in the car with the proper tools to replace it. I do this with most of my cars anyway since if/when that goes out you will be stranded. It is cheap insurance. Get one from e-bay, when it arrives test it.