Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

IACV/EACV- Stuck in cold weather mode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:08 AM
HCF Member
Default IACV/EACV- Stuck in cold weather mode?

I took off my EACV and cleaned it according to the directions on the forum:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=62836

Now when I start the car it seems stuck in cold weather mode. High RPMs until it warms up fully. 1500rpm, then 1000rpm, and finally, but rarely, 800rpm.
Last night when I was driving home I put the car in neutral and coasted for a little while. The RPMs went up and down from 300-1000. I checked for vacuum leaks, but couldn't find any. NOTE: This only happens in neutral and when I'm coasting, not when I'm in gear, or stopped and idling.

Sometimes when breaking hard the RPMs drop very low to 200rpms. Then after a moment they go back up to 800-1000rpms

Also, the only thing I did differently when cleaning the EACV is I used engine starting fluid instead of brake/carb-cleaner. Did that hurt the EACV?

I also did a Sea Foam cleaning:
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=14612
Could the timing be thrown off when doing a sea foam kit? I remember while doing it my car was shaking really bad and tried stalling a few times.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the intake pipe off and check the ports in the side of the throttle body-- see which ones are pulling air. It could be your FITV if your model has one. If it's a two-wire EACV, pulling the electrical plug off should cause it to close fully and stop drawing air. Starting fluid is not a very good cleaner, you should go back with the right stuff and also clean the ports in the manifold where the EACV attaches.

Also whenever you have an uneven idle, check for air in the cooling system / low coolant level. Take the radiator cap off with the engine cold and make sure it is full to the top.

Last edited by mk378; 09-30-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:15 AM
HCF Member

I have a 93 civic VX. I looked for the FITV, and I couldn't find it. I compared my TB to several others I found online.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2153910
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1844067
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1564019

My TB doesn't have an extra attachment where the FITV would be. It does have two radiator hoses attached to the bottom of the TB. So if I want to get to where I think the FITV is i'd have to remove the entire TB.

It looks like someone in the past probably replaced the entire TB with a used one from a junk yard because it has yellow paint on it in two places.

Should I try to attempt to remove my TB and see if I can get to the FITV? That is, if I even have an FITV.

Thanks

Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Does it have a hole in the side before the throttle plate, near the bottom, that would feed air to the FITV? The one in the back side goes to the EACV and the one on top to the preset screw.

The coolant hoses likely go to the FITV, that's how other models have it.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:09 AM
HCF Member

Yes, when I was cleaning out the TB yesterday I noticed that hole. I sprayed cleaner in it. I'll remove the 4 screws that hold on the TB. I should picked up a new TB gasket before I remove it because I can't picture it being in good enough shape to remove in one piece.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

Okay I pulled the TB and it doesn't have a FITV. Only one hole and two sensors. The MAP, and one the sensor that need to be modified in order to remove it. (can't remember what it's called but I read about it.)

As for air in the system, that might be the case. I have a very slow leak in my radiator where the upper radiator hose attaches. It's just a hair line crack though.

I cleaned the IACV for a 2nd time and the car ran like crap. The RPMS were all over the place. So I pulled it off and checked the o-ring. When I put it back on and it seemed to work fine. -Not fine, but back to the rpms at 1500. No more surging.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When it is idling too fast, unplug the wires on the IACV. Does that make the engine slow down?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:52 PM
HCF Member
Lightbulb

Hello 1stHonda,
After doing any change the the engine management system you must take the neg battery cable off for 15 minutes to reset the emc, so the emc can relearn,was this done if not this could be the problem. Keep us posted.
Thanks,2010civiclx

Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 PM
HCF Member

Well, the RPMs still go to 1500 when it starts. Stays there for about 4-6 minutes. Then it goes down to 1000 RPMs for a few more minutes. After a little while it goes to 650.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
When it is idling too fast, unplug the wires on the IACV. Does that make the engine slow down?

Yes it drops the RPMs all the way to the 500 line.

Quick Reply: IACV/EACV- Stuck in cold weather mode?