Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I think I put in too much oil...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Default RE: I think I put in too much oil...

I know it doesnt say that in the manual, but we learned it in the course. Heating up the engine gets the oil ready to flow with all the "dirt" into it, if you don't warm up and engine before draining the oil, all that "dirt" settles at the bottom of your oil pan, and over time, guess what........it causes rust to form in your oil pan and the next thing you know, you have a base pan oil leak. For the sake of a couple minutes idling my engine before an oil change, its worth it.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:56 AM

I would just change your oil. From the picture it looks like it needs it. Good oil should not have a black color.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:00 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: MarcB

I know it doesnt say that in the manual, but we learned it in the course. Heating up the engine gets the oil ready to flow with all the "dirt" into it, if you don't warm up and engine before draining the oil, all that "dirt" settles at the bottom of your oil pan, and over time, guess what........it causes rust to form in your oil pan and the next thing you know, you have a base pan oil leak. For the sake of a couple minutes idling my engine before an oil change, its worth it.
If you remember, we were talking about oil level check, not oil change