Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I think I put in too much oil...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I think I put in too much oil...

posting here makes

Old 02-04-2007, 10:00 PM

Im actually in the Automotive Service Technician course, the reason im having troubles with my own car is because I just bought it and its the first time I have encountered these problems, like any mechanic, if you havent encountered the problem before, you need a little advice from others who experienced it. Any questions about any other things, just ask, here in Canada, we have Journeyman Mechanics, and im only in the beggining of the course, but I have ALL the study books a full journeyperson needs.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:09 PM

The "proper" procedure (in the mechanics apprentice books) for oil change is: Let engine run for 2 - 5 minutes, shut off, hoist vehicle, take off drain plug, then take off filter, take new filter and compare with old, install new filter with oil in (if possible, some oil filters like mine on my D15B7 goes on sideways so unless I want a mess on the floor, I dont need to fill it, but DO rub a little oil on the filter seal), when oil is drained, put new copper gasket (washer) on the plug and then tighten to spec's, usually 32 lb.ft, and then poor in the manufacturer specs of the type of oil to use in the summer/winter and how much to poor in, if no specs are available, then poor in half a jug and keep checking the oil level after. When at full, start the engine for 10 seconds, then check oil level again, the filter should have taken .2 L of oil and then top up again, start engine for 2 to 5 minutes and then check oil level, pour until full mark is reached and you safe.

But thats the "proper" way, to avoid high cost in shops, they just do it as fast as they can. Depends on the quality of work the shop does, you get your moneys worth!!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

I guess that's why we hear recently quite a few complaints about over-filling LOL.

Actually being intrigued, I overcame my laziness and opened 92-95 shop manual. Three pages are devoted to oil level checking and oil replacement. No mention of idling AT ALL, except for idling for 3 minutes afterwards to check for leaks...

Checked 02-03 shop manual - less pages, the same story...

Old 02-04-2007, 10:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mikezcdx

+1, DONT DRIVE IT UNTIL YOU DO THIS, possible piston ring blowout.
[:@]happened to me last year

Old 02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

when i worked at the honda shop we never let them run which we didnt check the oil we knew we put the right amount in cause it came out of the pump in to a bucket we did 4.2 on 4cyl accords 3.7 on civics and 4.6 on v6, i over filled my civic on day by a quart pissed me of cause i had to drain my royal purple out just lack of paying attention though

Old 02-04-2007, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: drbyers
have your dad check the oil level if you can.
Yeah ok, I'll ride my magic flying car to South Africa and get him to check.

Thanks for the help, but next time try it with atleast 90% less condescention.

How do you get the dipstick out without touching the sides?

Old 02-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Eun

just drain it down. if you're too scared or anything, just drain the whole thing (if you got some money to spend), do it again. and try to put the right amount and you probably won't make the same mistake again.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:10 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Faithbleed

ORIGINAL: drbyers
have your dad check the oil level if you can.
Yeah ok, I'll ride my magic flying car to South Africa and get him to check.

Thanks for the help, but next time try it with atleast 90% less condescention.

How do you get the dipstick out without touching the sides?
fly your magic carpet down to south africa and let your dad check it.

Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 AM
HCF Member

Thats actualy not helpful.. Funnily enough

Quick Reply: I think I put in too much oil...