Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I think I put in too much oil...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I think I put in too much oil...

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to look at it tonight. Little bit paranoyed now.[&:]

Old 02-04-2007, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

just get underneath your car and loosen the oil pan drain plug some (NOT ALL THE WAY) and let some slowly seep out into a drain bucket.

then retighten the drain plug and check your oil level again. this isn't rocket science.

but definitely don't drive the car before draining some of the oil out. you could blow some seals if your oil is really overfilled.

BTW, that picture you showed looks like the oil level is only slightly overfilled.

that oil at the red level looks like where your dipstick touched the side of the dipstick housing. have your dad check the oil level if you can.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: MarcB

I dont know if anyone knows the proper way of checking their oil, but you are supposed to leave your engine idling for at least 2 to 5 minutes before check the oil. That way the oil is dispursed everywhere in the system and when you check the oil after that, you should put it to full. Checking your engine cold will give you a false reading and run the risk of having low oil when reaching operating temperatures. Also, when doing an oil change you should do the same thing, run the engine for 2 to 5 minutes and then drain your oil, it gets and the dispersants, detergents and poor point depresents worked up in the oil so that they flow out of the oil pan readily and you get more of the "bad stuff" out. And a really easy way to get tiny bits of oil out of the system without getting under the car and fooling with the oil plug and then checking and then all that bullsh*t is to use a plastic syringe with some tubing, just put the tubing down into the oil dipstick shaft and draw up your oil. Good Luck.
Just wondering, where did you get this procedure from? Any links? Or book reference?

Old 02-04-2007, 01:16 PM
HCF Member

it's what ALL mechanics do...

Old 02-04-2007, 01:27 PM
HCF Member

Idling 2-5 min just before measuring oil level? This is the first time in my life I hear about this, honestly.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

same.
thought if it was sitting, all the oil can drain down

Old 02-04-2007, 02:05 PM
HCF Member

go to a oil change place and watch how they do it.

they'll ALWAYS let the engine idle a few minutes after filling it with new oil and then check the dipstick.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:13 PM
HCF Member

I guess they do this to fill the filter. Oil change and regular level check are somewhat different.Idling before level check does not really make any sence to me, to tell you the truth. Just another piece of ungrounded advice. To say this the most polite way

Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

agree with Misha;
need to fill filter

Old 02-04-2007, 02:19 PM
HCF Member

nothing makes sense to you.

Quick Reply: I think I put in too much oil...