Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I have spark, fuel, and timing. Whats missing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Default I have spark, fuel, and timing. Whats missing?

I have a 2000 honda civic ex that wont run. I have checked the timing, made sure it has spark and fuel, checked all of my fuses and everything else I can think to check. Does anyone have an idea as to what is wrong with it? Thanks.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: I have spark, fuel, and timing. Whats missing?

Well those are two main ingredients needed to start an engine. Is the CEL lit? Have you checked compression in the cylinders?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

does it start and stall out or not even start?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

Have you checked if the timing is set to top dead center? It is quite common for peope to orient the distributor to the correct position but have it for bottom dead center. It is an easy thing to screw up, even for a professional.

Does the car crank? does it ever kinda catch and than give out?

Is the plug wires in the right order? I had mine a little messed up and wondered why my car wouldn't start. It only took me 5 mins to realize what i did, but it can happen.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

Back track first.. what did you do to it before it don't run.. or just suddenly like that ???

Old 02-19-2008, 08:15 AM

I was driving through town and stopped at a stop sign and a guy behind me was gunning his engine so I thought it would be funny to rev the civic up and only reved it to about 4,000 rpms and then let it idle and when i tried to rev it up again, it just sat at about 1,000 rpms no matter how much gas I gave it and after about 2 seconds it died and wouldnt restart. It cranks fine and nothing sounds bad. I was worried that my timing belt slipped and that the pistons would smash the valves, but like I said, it sounds fine. We trailered it home and my dad and I pulled the engine up to approximate tdc by pulling the #1 sparkplug and rotating the crank till the piston was at the end of its stroke. And it was the compression stroke because I can half way wiggle both valve springs. Then I pulled the distributor cap off and the rotor was pointed where the #1 cylinder pickup would be if the cap was back on. So, if the belt did slip even one tooth on the gear, would that be enough to completely kill the engine? Thanks guys!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

if the engine isn't starting, could mean you have shot down your engine by damaging a piston or something